Author Topic: Some interesting news!  (Read 2815 times)

Offline tigerj360

• Here all the time
Re: Some interesting news!
« Reply #10 on: 16 December 2010, 15:35 »
My 8v engine was reliable enough to keep me happy, just minor stuff that was wearing and tearing.

Was that a mk2 or 3 Khare?

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #11 on: 16 December 2010, 15:38 »
Mk3.

The mk2 gave me nothing but problems (it was 1.6 carb).

Problems that were not just engine related. Water leaks, wind noise, road noise, lots of rattles. Mk3 is not perfect, but it's a massive step forward IMO.

I guess mk4 will feel another big step forward compared to mk3.

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 16 December 2010, 15:59 »
In reply to the last post you did about my post (if that makes sence (on phone so don't have a 'quote' button))

Yeah I thought that it would be a big step up, but admiral want 250 for me to lower car and tint windows, but can get a 1.8t and that only makes my insurence go up by about the same so can't go wrong really :) hopefully I will be getting a 1.8t just after my birthday if not the the n/a is getting sold/splitt after this years insurence is up and moving on to something with a turbo :)

Offline Phil1980

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 16 December 2010, 16:13 »
Mk4 1.8t would be your best bet, a nice mk2 would set you back too much.  Be a nicer drive than the mk3 as well.
MK5 2005 GTI, BLACK, 3 DR, 18" MONZA II, XENONS

Offline tigerj360

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 16 December 2010, 17:13 »
Mk3.

Problems that were not just engine related. Water leaks, wind noise, road noise, lots of rattles. Mk3 is not perfect, but it's a massive step forward IMO.

oh god sounds like a nightmare Khare, although the look of a mk2 in my opinion is beaut!

yeah I havn't had any problems that will bother me with my mk3 and i love it to peices but i think a 2.0 will be impossible to insure  :sad: until iv got more years under my belt anyway

looks like a mk4 1.8t or GTI is my best option then!

wish me luck!  or send me links to good ones :)

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 16 December 2010, 17:17 »
To buy a mk2 it'll cost you quite a bit, especially a decent GTI.

A mk3 gti 8v will be cheap, can pick them up in decent shape for around £700.

A mk4 gti (2l 8v) will be slow and not that much quicker than your current 1.6...And they will be expensive too.

I'd say sell the 1.6, stick a few hundred on top and buy a mk3.

Slower.  :lipsrsealed:

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 16 December 2010, 20:12 »
the mk3 ticks no boxes imo.

they have no GTi ness and they are fugly and relativly very expensive for what they are in the most part that being unreliable sheds.

mk2's arn't any more reliable than mk3's but there not any less reliable and they do cost more but they have GTi ness hence why i would have a mk2.

mk4's are generaly moe reliable but they are getting old as well now. they do posess some gti ness    it's a diffrent type of GTi ness but still GTi ness they are also cheep.  you can get a healthy 1.8T for about a grand  and as far as general daily drive points go it far superior to a mk2 and of course the mk3

the mk2 is the optimal as a toy, the mk4 is optimal as a daiy driver but can be played with.  the mk3 is optimal as spare parts for the mk2   
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #17 on: 16 December 2010, 21:26 »
the mk2 is the optimal as a toy, the mk4 is optimal as a daiy driver but can be played with.  the mk3 is optimal as spare parts for the mk2   

:laugh: Brilliant

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #18 on: 16 December 2010, 21:36 »
Mk3.

Not IMO, I could not wait to swap my Mark 4 for another Mark 3. The Mark 4 was more comfy and ok to look at but they have no soul compared to a Mark 3. The Mark 3 is fun to drive and look good when modded properly. Mark 3 ftw every time  :cool:

Offline The Mighty Elvi

• I live here
  • I'm better than you today.
« Reply #19 on: 16 December 2010, 22:09 »
You want a GTI.

That rules out the MK3.

Grow a pair and get a MK2 16v.