Author Topic: Starting problems until warm!  (Read 5095 times)

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
Re: Starting problems until warm!
« Reply #10 on: 27 January 2005, 22:03 »
:( Still will not start from cold from the key! needs a little help fro the accelerator pedal! any ideas?

also, even with the idle screw is unscrewed fully the revs don't go above 950 rpm, take it out fully at the car dies!

Also with the isv disconnected the revs just fall all the way down and the engine cuts out! is this normal or is something a miss?
My 89 16v  /  Essential golf links

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
« Reply #11 on: 31 January 2005, 12:47 »
Can anyone answer my above questions so i can rule these tings out?

Also i am thinking either injectors aor an air leak, would either of these cause my problems?

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 31 January 2005, 14:11 »
Can anyone answer my above questions so i can rule these tings out?

Also i am thinking either injectors aor an air leak, would either of these cause my problems?

Sounds like an air leak. Check all your vaccuum lines and manifold pipes etc. They can sometimes be very difficult to find. Try moving pipes with the engine running, see how it effects the idle.

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
« Reply #13 on: 31 January 2005, 14:17 »
Thanks richandhazel, as this only happens from cold i guess i need to check which vacume pipes are used during the cold period (are there any which are not used when the engine is fully warm)???

A good check I have been told is to spray wd40, the engine tone should change when i find a leak? any other tips like this

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
« Reply #14 on: 13 April 2005, 11:47 »
Bringing this post back from the dead :)

As above I have cleaned the isv and replace the vacume pipes, and swapped over the overrun cut off and diagrpham switch, also engine has had a pro manual tune and is running fantastic apart from the start problem.

The start up is alot better, but still needs my help with the pedal! and until it's warmed up (drives a dream then), when driving and i come to stop if out of gear or foot on clutch the revs drop to around 500rpm and slowly creep back up or if i blip the accelerator they go back to normal idle!

any ideas? all that is left i can think of id the fuel filter (changing it on the weekend), accumulator (pricey), or injectors, but would these be the cause only when cold and not from hot?

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 13 April 2005, 12:20 »
once you get it started will it idle on its own or will it cough n splutter for about 30s?

with mine in the mornings it'll fire as should on cold start but will then cough n splutter if i dont hold the accelerator down a little. my problem was caused after i had the WUR adjusted

i have a new fuel pump, inline pump & std WUR all ready to be fitted to see if this cures it

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
« Reply #16 on: 13 April 2005, 13:17 »
yes, once started after a litle blip on the accelerator it will idel at normal then raise to 1150ish for a bit (have not timed it) then return to normal.

Once i set of on my journey and i come to a junction and put the clutch down or out of gear the revs dropt to around 550, blip the accelerator and they go back up to normal, this happens until the engine reaches temp (oil temp around 88ish)

It's like the isv kicks in a few seconds to late or something and needs me to knock the revs up slightly for it to do it's job!

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 13 April 2005, 13:49 »
tbh it sounds like yours just needs the CO% adjusted

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
« Reply #18 on: 13 April 2005, 14:06 »
Do you think it could be the warm up reg as this is suppose to increase the c0 on cold starts?

Also can i rule out -

main injectors
cold start injector
fuel pump
Fuel accumulator

cheers

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 13 April 2005, 16:40 »
the fact that once started it idles normally means you can rule out the pump & accumulator

id be looking at the cold start valve. have you tried starting with the cold start disconnected. a duff one drips fuel so overnight it floods the car making it hard to start in the morning

get your CO% checked & set to 2%. this is what causes the revs to dip when appraoching junctions etc