Author Topic: mk2 16v  (Read 5504 times)

Offline OakeyDoak16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,063
Re: mk2 16v
« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2010, 01:56 »
ABF is probably a better route to go down, they're newer, more reliable, probably more available and more powerful.
As above, these engines are fast. Even better in a mk2! That said, and i don't care what anyone else say's, a vr6 engine in a mk2 is the nuts. 0-60 in 5.2 secs and 1/4 mile in 15 dead. :cool:

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: mk2 16v
« Reply #11 on: 30 September 2010, 07:46 »
Transplant it. Ul also save on tax and insurance:). Get yourself a scrap/ rotten 16v as a donor cos u will need quite a lot to do it all (mech+elec fuel lines,pump etc). If the kr engine turns out to be dead slap an abf in n run it on kjet.that's wot I did... For 600quid plus sundries/new odds n sods!

This is a stupid idea.  Do it once and properly and install an ABF on OEM management.  G3 16Vs are now cheaper and easier to find than G2 16Vs.

As for not declaring it.  :rolleyes:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline mk2bal

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 811
Re: mk2 16v
« Reply #12 on: 30 September 2010, 08:39 »


This is a stupid idea.  Do it once and properly and install an ABF on OEM management.  G3 16Vs are now cheaper and easier to find than G2 16Vs.

As for not declaring it.  :rolleyes:
[/quote]

yeah maybe in hindsight id have gone for the digi rather than kjet, but didnt know that at time, plus it means getting a mk3 donor car for the conversion, whereas i figured buying a mk2 would mean everything was guaranteed to swap over, and i wouldnt need anythin else.. thought that a mk3 might be more aggro with different drivetrain etc etc. it still makes 160bhp - and the kjet gear seems ok for now, if it really plays me up in time ill find myself a digi loom and swap it over...
as for insurance they wanted an extra 250 per year for the 1.3 - 16v, and at the time, with tax engine conversion costs etc i just didnt have it to spare... will be doing it on next years in a few months tho, as its not even £1 a day so welll worth it...

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: mk2 16v
« Reply #13 on: 30 September 2010, 08:44 »
I think you should just by a G ladder and drop a G60 you will have at least 170BHP on tap and yes its stupidly expensive if that supercharger goes, but it will kill a standard ABF plus the 8V IH block is lighter due to its 8V's  :wink: Has anyone G'ed up a ABF yet if so what specs and performance did it give I wonder?
 

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: mk2 16v
« Reply #14 on: 30 September 2010, 09:45 »
I think you should just by a G ladder and drop a G60 you will have at least 170BHP on tap and yes its stupidly expensive if that supercharger goes, but it will kill a standard ABF plus the 8V IH block is lighter due to its 8V's  :wink: Has anyone G'ed up a ABF yet if so what specs and performance did it give I wonder?
 

I might be wrong but: http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167851.0 is this a ABF in this thread.

Offline Sam

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,186
  • Sam I am
Re: mk2 16v
« Reply #15 on: 30 September 2010, 09:58 »
ABF is probably a better route to go down, they're newer, more reliable, probably more available and more powerful.
As above, these engines are fast. Even better in a mk2! That said, and i don't care what anyone else say's, a vr6 engine in a mk2 is the nuts. 0-60 in 5.2 secs and 1/4 mile in 15 dead. :cool:

0-60 in 5.2 seconds!? I assume your talkin clicks?


The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline Agreeable Slick

  • Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 7,066
  • Unit
Re: mk2 16v
« Reply #16 on: 30 September 2010, 10:12 »
sorry, but I'd take a breathed on valver over a VR in a mk2 any day.

Quicker, and more fun.

Offline Sam

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,186
  • Sam I am
Re: mk2 16v
« Reply #17 on: 30 September 2010, 10:24 »
I can comfortably second that Mr Slick


The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

jamrock

  • Guest
Re: mk2 16v
« Reply #18 on: 30 September 2010, 12:39 »
sorry, but I'd take a breathed on valver over a VR in a mk2 any day.

Quicker, and more fun.

+1 :smiley:

Offline OakeyDoak16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,063
Re: mk2 16v
« Reply #19 on: 30 September 2010, 13:04 »
ABF is probably a better route to go down, they're newer, more reliable, probably more available and more powerful.
As above, these engines are fast. Even better in a mk2! That said, and i don't care what anyone else say's, a vr6 engine in a mk2 is the nuts. 0-60 in 5.2 secs and 1/4 mile in 15 dead. :cool:

0-60 in 5.2 seconds!? I assume your talkin clicks?
Sorry, 6.2   :smiley: