Author Topic: **CAR FULL OF SMOKE, FOUND PROBLEM**  (Read 2696 times)

Offline Misky

• Here all the time
  • MK3 16v GTI FTW!!!
Re: **CAR FULL OF SMOKE, URGENT HELP PLEASE**
« Reply #10 on: 22 September 2010, 10:37 »
Curse of the green car syndrome strikes AGAIN!!!!!  :laugh:
MK3 16v GTI FTW!!!

Offline FOREST GREEN

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 25 September 2010, 12:09 »
OK, so the problem was a dodgey earth cable in the engine bay that rubbed against the block when accelerating, eventually rubbed through, shorted out, caused a fire in the fuse box and melted the entire wiring loom :cry:

Optimistic as always, I'm having it all repaired as I've done so much to the old girl already, it would be daft not to, besides, I like her and when she's running, she's a booty! :smug:

Offline jonnypolish

• I live here
  • t2871r needed :)
Re: **CAR FULL OF SMOKE, FOUND PROBLEM**
« Reply #12 on: 25 September 2010, 12:41 »
Same thing happened to a mates Volvo a couple of miles away from the RING!
Poor sod had to hit the nearest hardware store and buy all the wires he could and created a whole new wiring loom!
Took 2 days to do it but he manged to do it and still drive the ring  :cool:
 MK2 VR y0!

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #13 on: 25 September 2010, 13:43 »
OK, so the problem was a dodgey earth cable in the engine bay that rubbed against the block when accelerating, eventually rubbed through, shorted out, caused a fire in the fuse box and melted the entire wiring loom :cry:

Optimistic as always, I'm having it all repaired as I've done so much to the old girl already, it would be daft not to, besides, I like her and when she's running, she's a booty! :smug:

Might have been better / easier to find a s/h loom, you could end up with problems in the future.

Offline FOREST GREEN

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 25 September 2010, 20:19 »
Words of wisdom there Wayne, however, You should know by now that if I was going to tackle the job, I'd be in the 6 o'clock news having burnt down 1/2 of Plymouth :laugh:

It is being done by a professional including new loom, so, no probs in the future  :wink:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #15 on: 25 September 2010, 20:29 »
Words of wisdom there Wayne, however, You should know by now that if I was going to tackle the job, I'd be in the 6 o'clock news having burnt down 1/2 of Plymouth :laugh:

It is being done by a professional including new loom, so, no probs in the future  :wink:

Good news :afro:

Hope all is ok for you when finished.

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 25 September 2010, 23:22 »
Just one question, not that it matters but if it was an earth shorting on earth, would there have been a fire, or am I just being a tool?  :huh:

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline Dmonday

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 25 September 2010, 23:29 »
Oucch, bet that hurt your wallet :( hope you get it sorted bud!

Dan

Offline FOREST GREEN

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 26 September 2010, 16:17 »
For some reason it melted the fuse box, so all in all its going to cosy me the best part of £300.00  :cry:

Offline Leon27

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 26 September 2010, 16:34 »
Just one question, not that it matters but if it was an earth shorting on earth, would there have been a fire, or am I just being a tool?  :huh:

He's got a good point. An earth rubbing on an earth or continually touching an earth, shouldn't cause a short. A power rubbing against the earth may cause the results you've described.

Is there a sign of water around your fusebox? Heard of fuseboards melting due to loose connections at the back of it. Good luck with the fix  :smiley: