Author Topic: 16v isv/overrun/ecu kjet abf  (Read 5737 times)

Offline mk2bal

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 811
16v isv/overrun/ecu kjet abf
« on: 18 September 2010, 16:19 »
when cold, before getting upto 90 deg oil temp the engine hunts continuously, revving from 1000-1500 rpm. when warm (90deg+) its fine, it sits smooth and steady at 1000rpm. occasionally-normally when cold when approaching junctions the revs plummet and momentarily drop real low,but return to 1k straight after,as i say its occasional and not often,and the car never cuts out.the isv microswitch operates as it should. the 5th injector is unplugged, as in the thick of the summer heat it was worse (harder) to start in the mornings..when the car was rr, the guy said there could be a problem with the isv controller as the overrun was sticking open and not closing, so he blanked it off to stop this.? dunno if he blocked the little vacuum tube or the bigger hole into the air intake but the car doesnt cut out every time u lift off like it did before it was rr'd. basically should i try a few new gsf black temp sensors on the head to see if its getting the wrong readings? can always ptfe tape them if they leak like some people say they do? sorry for the long windedness i think its 1 for rj/ben or sum1 else who knows these inside out..

Offline mk2bal

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 811
Re: 16v isv/overrun/ecu kjet abf
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2010, 12:00 »
Anyone? RJ?! Help!

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: 16v isv/overrun/ecu kjet abf
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2010, 12:32 »
Have you looked at his guide in the maintence section? OR did a search function for each of your issues you would be surprised how many times your symptoms show up on here!
Or failing that PM him directly for some advice fella!
Jay

I would say ISV is your problem mate!

Offline mk2bal

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 811
Re: 16v isv/overrun/ecu kjet abf
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2010, 17:42 »
Right.putyellow/red temp wire on all 3 sensors, minor discrepancy between them, but minimal none the less. Wen I pull the blu/whi gre/red wires off the car dies so definitly functioning.. Have cleaned isv, inlet pipe, overrun, t/b, meterin head etc- made no difference. Not sure if its the isv, cos wen upto temp its spot on,dead smooth, its only wen cold it hunts.. Should I be gettin the wur/system pressures checked next? Rj throw me a frickin bone here its doin my head in?! Ur the doc that they told me to go see!

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: 16v isv/overrun/ecu kjet abf
« Reply #4 on: 28 September 2010, 18:10 »
Ok after getting ignored on this one and don't get thanks hardly anymore  :cry: I thought I would be a better person and less demanding :wink:

Search terms bad idle, 16V idle issues, cold start issues etc.... ISV WUR bad idle etc......
Use advance search function untick the all and select MK2, MK2 maintenance & even garage for a look see but here is what I found for you no need to thank me I'll thank myself fella :lipsrsealed:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=129586.0

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=53812.0

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=73903.0

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=106891.0

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=116404.0



Offline Agreeable Slick

  • Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 7,066
  • Unit
Re: 16v isv/overrun/ecu kjet abf
« Reply #5 on: 28 September 2010, 18:15 »
Ok after getting ignored on this one and don't get thanks hardly anymore  :cry: I thought I would be a better person and less demanding :wink:

Search terms bad idle, 16V idle issues, cold start issues etc.... ISV WUR bad idle etc......
Use advance search function untick the all and select MK2, MK2 maintenance & even garage for a look see but here is what I found for you no need to thank me I'll thank myself fella :lipsrsealed:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=129586.0

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=53812.0

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=73903.0

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=106891.0

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=116404.0




 :grin: :grin: Annoying isn't it when the search function can yield so much information and people ignore it.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: 16v isv/overrun/ecu kjet abf
« Reply #6 on: 28 September 2010, 18:18 »
Yeah Mate I miss the old lot that used to be on here its lack of manners! Its all I want now and fix this fix that hence I can only handle short stints on here over the years. RJ must think he is a Parrot by now! :grin:

Offline mk2bal

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 811
Re: 16v isv/overrun/ecu kjet abf
« Reply #7 on: 28 September 2010, 22:25 »
Fair play yeah.. I have used the search before, but sorta couldn't be bothered I guess... But nice 1 4 the links ill check em out.. I don't ask stupid dumbass questions tho, normally complex 1's that take a bit of workin out,I've figured how to build a 16v myself so at least u won't get any 'I've undone the 4 13mm bolts that hold the subframe on but it still won't shift' cough cough

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: 16v isv/overrun/ecu kjet abf
« Reply #8 on: 28 September 2010, 23:34 »
Yeah Mate I miss the old lot that used to be on here its lack of manners! Its all I want now and fix this fix that hence I can only handle short stints on here over the years. RJ must think he is a Parrot by now! :grin:

:lipsrsealed:

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: 16v isv/overrun/ecu kjet abf
« Reply #9 on: 29 September 2010, 08:06 »
Fair play yeah.. I have used the search before, but sorta couldn't be bothered I guess... But nice 1 4 the links ill check em out.. I don't ask stupid dumbass questions tho, normally complex 1's that take a bit of workin out,I've figured how to build a 16v myself so at least u won't get any 'I've undone the 4 13mm bolts that hold the subframe on but it still won't shift' cough cough
:grin:

All good!
Just one thing you're ISV could be stuck in one position i.e boost control to the metering head is stuck on warmed up mode so you can at least drive it when the car is at optimal temperatures. Hence she struggles to let Less air in on cold start ups and idle is lumpy when cold. Cleaning it might make no difference at all if teh solinoid windings are dead!
Here is a diagram of the ISV note the coments from VW people themselves!
Not sure if it buzz's at ignition start up??