Author Topic: Main dealer servicing  (Read 6100 times)

Offline dubber36

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,536
Main dealer servicing
« on: 16 September 2010, 08:46 »
I'm lucky enough to have a Mk2 with one previous owner, full service history and all the bills from new.

Even though I only do a few hundred miles a year, I want to keep this up and keep the cars history file up to date. This means an annual trip to the dealers.

I rang them today to book it in for basically an oil change and a stamp in the book.

"That'll be £140 please sir."
 
"That's a bit steep" I said, "what does that include?"

"Our basic lubrication service includes, oil and filter, pollen filter, so many point health check, scan for stored fault codes and a wash and vac."

I said "I don't have a pollen filter, it has no ODB port and I certainly don't want it washing. How much will it be without that lot"

"£140 sir."

"You really don't get it do you? Can I speak to someone who understands that I just want an oil change and a stamp in the book please?"

"They're on the phone at the moment. Can they call you back?"

20 minutes later,

"We can do that for £60 sir. Next Wednesday ok?"

"That'll be fine. Can I have a courtesy car for the day please?"

"Of course sir. See you next Wednesday."

That's more like it. I get another stamp in the book and a receipt for my file, a new car to tear round in for the day, and hopefully a short list of jobs that need attention that I can do myself at home all for £60.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Agreeable Slick

  • Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 7,066
  • Unit
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2010, 09:09 »
Honestly VW are becoming as bad as call centres for reading from a script when it comes to phone calls.

Your conversation sounds like the classic, let's employ someone who can just answer phones and looks good to visiting customers, not someone who actually has a scooby about what they are talking about.

Offline tobz.

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,629
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2010, 12:01 »
^^^^^^ Tell me about it, I went into my local main dealer last saturday for a can of synta silver and an oil filter for the mk2. There was a huge queue then some mechanic guy asked if he would be able to help me. He asked for the reg number, I told him it was just the universal oil filter that all dubs of that era used then gave him the reg and off he went. I waited and waited and waited, a really pretty girl went past a couple of times with a tray of hot drinks for all the people waiting in the comfy area while their cars were serviced etc. Then the mechanic comes back with another guy and they take more details then disappear again for a while. Then the mechanic guy comes back and says the parts guy is just sorting out my parts. An age later he returns with my oil filter!!! I reckon it took less time for me to change the oil and filter than it did waiting to buy it!!!

What the funk is going on??? The place is all spotless with comfy sofas and free hot drinks served by a young cutie but ask them anything more technical that what range of car scent they offer come service time and they haven't got a bl00dy clue!!!


You got any pics of your dad's split ?

Offline dubber36

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,536
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2010, 12:53 »
Oh yeah, that was another thing. The girl on the phone asked me for the reg number. I told her it was G445 R--. She paused for a moment and then asked if that was a private plate?  :huh: :huh: :huh:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2010, 14:01 »
The amazing thing is that you're still going to a main for parts or servicing. Why not get it serviced somewhere competent with the car?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2010, 14:26 »
I have to say I wouldn't let any Dealer Service Agent (Muppet's) near my MK2...

It would take 'em 2 hours to find out that you can't plug in the ECU Fault Reader!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Do you really think they train the young lads to work on these old cars... I doubt It... In fact I'm sure they don't as one of the salesmen in our local dealers has a BUG and gets his mate to do the work on it!!  :tongue:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline dubber36

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,536
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2010, 15:00 »
The amazing thing is that you're still going to a main for parts or servicing. Why not get it serviced somewhere competent with the car?

As I put in my original post, all I want is a dealer stamp in the book to maintain the history. I'm hoping that in another 20 years time, a 40 year fsh will be a nice thing to have.

All I am asking them to do is the bear minimum and not touch anything else. Anything else that does need doing I can either do myself or use a local old school garage. Having said that, I've only done 314 miles in the last 12 months, so I'm guessing not too much will have worn out.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline the_stink

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,308
  • A3 140 TDI
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2010, 15:15 »
when i have money ill be going to Vee W services for my service, will check with them how much when i went down last time to have the PAS looking at the guy did say for a full service it would be £150 think ill have to wait till oct payday to sort that out though and check whats included

raod tax and sorting the wheel alignment w/ new wheels and tyres this month

but always use Vee W never have any probs with them good service and fair prices

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #8 on: 16 September 2010, 21:33 »
The amazing thing is that you're still going to a main for parts or servicing. Why not get it serviced somewhere competent with the car?

As I put in my original post, all I want is a dealer stamp in the book to maintain the history. I'm hoping that in another 20 years time, a 40 year fsh will be a nice thing to have.

All I am asking them to do is the bear minimum and not touch anything else. Anything else that does need doing I can either do myself or use a local old school garage. Having said that, I've only done 314 miles in the last 12 months, so I'm guessing not too much will have worn out.

Don't think it makes a blind bit of difference to be honest, stamps in the books are great but people look for the bills and if your only have the basics done then it is not really full history.

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Main dealer servicing
« Reply #9 on: 16 September 2010, 21:53 »
As I put in my original post, all I want is a dealer stamp in the book to maintain the history. I'm hoping that in another 20 years time, a 40 year fsh will be a nice thing to have.

I respect your anal retentiveness attention to detail, but reserve the right to think you're an idiot.

I hope you're not thinking it'll add value to the 'Golf2 classic car'?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.