Author Topic: Horney: My love for the Mazda MX5  (Read 85953 times)

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: Horney: My love for the Mazda MX5
« Reply #500 on: 10 January 2015, 23:37 »
A couple of recent photos:

« Last Edit: 10 January 2015, 23:42 by Horney »

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #501 on: 12 January 2015, 23:35 »
Went to Autosport yesterday and purchased a race suit, nomex underwear and a new lid. Time to get serious and take this thing onto the Hillclimb and Sprint circuit.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #502 on: 14 January 2015, 15:07 »
Thought I'd have some fun with getting some "Team Wear" made up.

Untitled by Nicholas R Horne, on Flickr

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #503 on: 16 January 2015, 22:10 »

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #504 on: 24 January 2015, 09:16 »
Since fitting the smaller pulley I've had an issue with the injectors running at over 100% duty cycle at 6,500rpm and above. This is clearly not good!

Swapped out the fuel filter and the fuel pressure regulator and while there was an improvement it was still not great.

Fitted a 190lph Walbro along with a rewire running it straight from the battery via a relay triggered from the original loom and we have a result. Pressures at the rail back to what they should, no pressure creep with the stronger pump and on the RR it was considerably richer all the way through the revs. Nick tweaked the map and now I have good AFRs right up to the limiter and a fair bit of head room in the injector duty cycles. I can now use full revs for long periods without being terrified it's going to lean out blow itself to pieces.

We also swapped out all the lower wishbone bolts at the fron tot try and cure my clonk on heavy load right-handers. I've had the alignment set and so far no clonk although it's a bit slippy out at the moment to really throw the car around. Time will tell. A big thanks to Nick @ Skuzzle Motorsport for all his hard work as usual and also to the Wheel Alignment Centre in Southampton for setting the Geo, the car feels better than ever now.

Have some pics:

A full workshop

Fitted the Jackson Racing ARBs a while ago but forgot to take any pics

Pub at end of Day one

While the MX5 was in bits I had the Skuzzle Motorsport Micra of Doom on loan

We Have Boost Sticker

Getting the Geo done

All done

Video on the rollers:
http://youtu.be/1__MyvKDMIA

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #505 on: 24 January 2015, 09:30 »
Are the wheel alignment centre recommended then Nick?  Need my Corrado setting up shortly as I'll be completely renewing/refurbing the running gear.  I know these need to be done correctly so don't fancy taking it to protyre and the like!
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #506 on: 24 January 2015, 09:36 »
Oh yes. He sets up a lot of race cars, 911 GT3s, Lambos, caterhams etc etc. If you go check out the walls of photos of all the awesome cars he's set up.

Best bit, its £50 for a full 4 wheel check and adjust and he makes you a coffee.

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #507 on: 24 January 2015, 09:39 »
Wow, think I'll be paying him a visit before AND after it all now! Thanks mate.  :smiley:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
« Reply #508 on: 05 February 2015, 19:03 »
Because of this thread I may have or may have not bought an MX5..NB :lipsrsealed:

Down Hill From Here.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #509 on: 06 February 2015, 23:13 »
lol, nice one. What spec?