I've just had my clutch changed and have been told that the gearbox is about to throw its diff. 2nd gear is crunching as well, but I've hopefully managed to source a second hand 2y box which has done about 120k miles.
The garage that did the clutch will fit the new box at a discount. However is there anything I should do to the new box before it is fitted?
I was thinking new seals, possibly bearings too? Can you get a bolt kit to replace the differential rivets too? I've got some Redline MTL I was going to chuck in the old box, so it looks lke that will be going in the new one. Clutch is 100 miles old, so doesn't need replacing yet

Any advice and VW part numbers or parts sources would be appreciated. I don't want to go to the length of a full refurb on the new box as the engine (standard KR) is on 165k now and I may eventually go ABF if/when it goes bang..