Author Topic: Bumper disaster  (Read 4129 times)

Offline tony_ack

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 757
Bumper disaster
« on: 01 August 2010, 20:32 »
I tried to remove my big bumper today to swap it for a new one.

Three of the bolts came out fine, but the left hand bracket had broken and corroded away to almost nothing. The bolt furthest inside the chassis leg was spinning freely, and it turns out that the nut was spinning around with what was left of the bracket.

Luckily because the bracket has broken, the bumper is off and out of the way, so I can see right inside the chassis leg.

The nut looks deformed too. I tried to get a 17mm spanner and socket onto it, but it wouldn't go on. A 16mm went on just about, but slipped when I tried to put any serious torque through it.

I had a go at trying to get the mole grips over it, but they were too big to fit over the nut or remains of the bracket inside the chassis leg.

I'm trying to think of ways to get it off, and have a couple of things to try...

-Get some long nose grips and clamp around the nut and/or bracket to hold it steady while I turn the bolt
-Wedge the breaker bar used for the bolt against the wheel to stop it turning (it's a long breaker bar), and use a long and thin chisel and hammer on the nut
-Grind the bolt off (though there is no power in the garage)

Anyone got any other creative ideas?
1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6

Offline Horney

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,782
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: Bumper disaster
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2010, 20:48 »
Grinding the bolt will be the quickest. But lack of electricity is a problem so maybe buy some Erwin Bolt removers. Fecking brilliant things!

Nick

Offline tony_ack

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 757
Re: Bumper disaster
« Reply #2 on: 02 August 2010, 09:22 »
May be worth a shot as long as I can get the socket over the nut.

Thy look like they may be a useful tool to have when working on MK2s anyway  :smiley:
1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Bumper disaster
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2010, 09:59 »
proper dremel is what you want, will cut thru it like butter. space is limited in there so might be tricky to hammer the extractors onto the captive nut
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline danny_p

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,644
Re: Bumper disaster
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2010, 10:21 »
or just drill thge head off the bolt
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline gavL

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 312
Re: Bumper disaster
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2010, 14:46 »
Had the same problem and it was a good excuse for me to buy an angle grinder. Only way of doing it really :(
| DubNorthEast |

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: Bumper disaster
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2010, 17:56 »
sorry to hijack but do the front bumpers come off in the same way as the rear bumpers?  :huh:


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline tony_ack

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 757
Re: Bumper disaster
« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2010, 23:42 »
Got some bolt extractors today, but haven't had chance to try them out. I don't think I'll be able to hammer them on as there is no room, though I wonder if I may have a chance if I try to push it on with a crowbar/tyre lever

If that fails, will a cordless dremmel be up to the task? If I take it slowly? A drill is also an option, but again it will be cordless, so may take a while on a 17mm head.

Can you still get the bumper bolts from VW? I want the car back on the road in the next couple of days if possible, to make room for my 8v breaker. I don't want to have to order a bolt in at VW and wait a few more days for it to arrive, if I can help it.

sorry to hijack but do the front bumpers come off in the same way as the rear bumpers?  :huh:

Yep, as far as I'm aware, there is the same 4x 17mm combination on the rear bumpers. In fact the rear bumper is coming off next as it's hanging a little wonky.

1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: Bumper disaster
« Reply #8 on: 03 August 2010, 00:11 »
thanks tony, mine needs repairing as its split away from the bumper frame work (if that makes sense), and it needs repainting


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Bumper disaster
« Reply #9 on: 03 August 2010, 10:00 »
cordless might be man enough but you'll want to make sure its a good quality unit as the cheap ones have no power and wear out the battery too fast. cordless drill will do the trick if you fully charge it, just gotta get an attachment for a cutting disc. buy LOTS of discs, since access is awkward you'll probably snap a few.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.