Author Topic: ABF into CE1 - She fliessss :D  (Read 36857 times)

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: ABF into CE1 - Petrol pump+accumulator plumbing??
« Reply #50 on: 20 July 2010, 00:54 »
Good work on the build so far :cool:

Quick question as I haven't gone back and re read the thread but what g/box are you using?

Cheers, watching with interest.


You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline fishnchipsx2

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: ABF into CE1 - Petrol pump+accumulator plumbing??
« Reply #51 on: 20 July 2010, 01:31 »
Ah, makes a lot more sense now. I thought lambda heater was only triggered when engine was cold rather than being on all the time.  :rolleyes:

Using a mk2 16v gearbox (which was given to me for free  :cool: ).  Means nice short raggable ratios to make up for my 16" wheels.  Also means I needed to get 100mm driveshafts, which I'll fit tomorrow (just got a CV joint off the donor mk3 to replace a dodgy one on my new shafts).

Gonna delay the key turning till Weds night when I will get my original cast ABF manifold back, so I will at least have a bit of pipe on there!

Unfortunately my welder is very busy (as always), so 4-branch is unlikely to be on before BugJam... still hoping though!

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: ABF into CE1 - Petrol pump+accumulator plumbing??
« Reply #52 on: 21 July 2010, 16:16 »
It's all so exciting :smiley:


You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline fishnchipsx2

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: ABF into CE1 - Petrol pump+accumulator plumbing??
« Reply #53 on: 21 July 2010, 23:03 »
Came home from work today to find an envelope of fuel fittings at the door, also got the cast abf manifold back from my welder

So me and a mate finished off bodging together the fuel, coolant and vacuum lines, and then turned the key  :shocked:

Spent a while cranking it over before I remembered about the kill-switch I had wired into ECU/fuel-pump relays, doh! :lipsrsealed:

Then diagnosed that the ECU still wasn't powered up, altho ECU relay was kicking out a voltage.

Then  found a couple of earths that must have been ripped off when we were maneuvering the manifold in  :undecided:  :lipsrsealed:

Then it got dark! Will resume tomorrow

Offline fishnchipsx2

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: ABF into CE1 - Petrol pump+accumulator plumbing??
« Reply #54 on: 22 July 2010, 12:02 »
No firing yet   :sad:

ECU relay is definitely kicking out 12v
ECU earths are definitely earthed

But the ECU does not seem to be 'turning on' with the ignition - can't find any voltages coming 'out' of the ECU at all  :undecided:

The fuel pump relay is not switching - the wire from ECU to fuel pump relay is 0v, whether ignition is on or  off.

Edit: I have spark...
« Last Edit: 22 July 2010, 13:11 by fishnchipsx2 »

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: ABF into CE1 - ECU not 'turning on'?
« Reply #55 on: 22 July 2010, 13:02 »
Is it immobiliser or non-immobiliser?

BE suffix on part number = immob.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline fishnchipsx2

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: ABF into CE1 - ECU not 'turning on'?
« Reply #56 on: 22 July 2010, 13:14 »
Oops, didn't see your reply there!

It is immobliser, I have the loop/box/key etc, key taped to loop of course!

Just pulled a lead, and I have spark... going to investigate the fuel pump relay now

Offline fishnchipsx2

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: ABF into CE1 - ECU not 'turning on'?
« Reply #57 on: 22 July 2010, 13:20 »
Think I've found the problem... I have pin86 of fuel pump relay connected to earth instead of ignition - Doh!   Will report back soon

Offline fishnchipsx2

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: ABF into CE1 - ECU not 'turning on'?
« Reply #58 on: 22 July 2010, 13:49 »
Changed the rogue relay wire, could hear the pump priming for 2 secs with ignition, so that was a good sign. Engine fired for just 1 second on each attempt.  So I taped my mk3 key to the loop at a different angle and...

She runs!  :cool:  :drool:

Problem is... it didn't wanna stop!  :grin:    Key out, relay trigger switch off (I used this mainly because I couldn't be bothered to find a working ignition live), battery killed.... must have still been running off the alternator's power!

Had to disconnect the fuel pump from the relay in the end!  :grin:

Still, the sound of an ABF between 2 brick walls with just a bare manifold put a grin on my face  :laugh:


Offline fishnchipsx2

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: ABF into CE1 - She runs! (Didn't wanna stop tho haha)
« Reply #59 on: 22 July 2010, 14:48 »
This is how I've wired up my 'ignition' switch... the +12v is direct to battery basically.



So switching it is the equivalent of turning the key to ignition.

Just been experimenting, and even putting pin86 to earth doesn't make the relay cut out.

Hmmmm.....