Author Topic: To Mod or not to Mod....  (Read 16717 times)

Offline Alec

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 844
Re: To Mod or not to Mod....
« Reply #10 on: 11 March 2010, 00:20 »
By the way it is definitely silver grey (or silbergrau on the touch up stick I ordered - well, I found 6 stone chips!)
Not Atlas.  I will get the code.

Paul

That was just me not reading it right  :grin:, I do that alot  :smiley:

Few beers doesnt help either. Enjoy your motor mate and welcome to the site

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: To Mod or not to Mod....
« Reply #11 on: 11 March 2010, 00:22 »
Mod it but keep any old parts so you can return it to standard.

Also cannot see the badges being correct, someone has fitted them later in its life.

Offline Thom89

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,092
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: To Mod or not to Mod....
« Reply #12 on: 11 March 2010, 00:47 »
HA ha we must be the quickest group on the entire web to get side tracked! Especially in the realms of mk2


PIC PIC PIC!

YOU ASKED IF ITS A VALVER WHEN HE SAID ITS 8 LOLOLOLLOLOL

The reason I asked?  Why would "one careful lady owner" stick 16v badges on! 8v's never came out the factory with them, also. its the guys first post, I have no idea just how much he knows about cars or engines, could be that he was misinformed about engine config... It does happen, that's why I asked for pics... :rolleyes:
Thom

Offline Horney

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,782
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: To Mod or not to Mod....
« Reply #13 on: 11 March 2010, 07:56 »
Also cannot see the badges being correct, someone has fitted them later in its life.

I'd dunno, you get plenty of mis builds. Just look in the MKVI section at the number of people who go to pick up their new motor to find it's missing some options they specified. A couple badges stuck on the wrong car is less of a miss build than missing leather seats etc and I bet it happened more than once. I'm sure 1 or two MKVI owners have specified DSG and turned up to collect their car to find a manual. Now that's miss build!

Nick

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: To Mod or not to Mod....
« Reply #14 on: 11 March 2010, 09:12 »
I agree with Nick.

Now, the last person who tipped up on here saying 'should I mod my original 8V' currently has an ABF (2.0 16V) on their garage floor waiting to go in.

You knows it makes sense!  :grin:

Although to be fair, his had done around 200k IIRC.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline dubber36

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,536
Re: To Mod or not to Mod....
« Reply #15 on: 11 March 2010, 11:25 »
If it's all nice and original, I would try to keep it that way, or only upgrade to things that would have been available at the time. Headlight levellers, electric mirrors etc.

16v suspension is a good choice and RA's work really well with big bumpers, but other than that I would leave it alone.

I'm not sure about the badges though. Even if they were on from new, it will look to everyone else that you put them on and are trying to make out that the car is something it's not. Does it have a badge on the glovebox lid and a bee sting aerial as well?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

VeeDubGTI16v

  • Guest
Re: To Mod or not to Mod....
« Reply #16 on: 11 March 2010, 11:31 »
there's an easy way to check what engine it has

floor it from a standing start, if the car stays still and the ground moves then its an 8v

Offline dubber36

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,536
Re: To Mod or not to Mod....
« Reply #17 on: 11 March 2010, 12:34 »
there's an easy way to check what engine it has

floor it from a standing start, if the car stays still and the ground moves then its an 8v

Shortly followed by a loud clank as a rod tries to escape through the side of the block in protest to being asked to go to over 4000rpm
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline dadrathers

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 385
Re: To Mod or not to Mod....
« Reply #18 on: 11 March 2010, 13:02 »
1. Keep it original (as much as poss)

2. Nothing wrong with a 5 door!

3. I added RAs and electric windows to my unmolested version as I believe that is how it should have come out of the factory (big bumper version 8v btw).


So not unsurprisingly you have the full range - mod it to hell and keep it original - you got plenty of time to decide - I wish mine had 48k and not 148k!!!

Offline Chris-White

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,840
  • Manufactured in Germany. Ruined in Britain.
Re: To Mod or not to Mod....
« Reply #19 on: 11 March 2010, 15:00 »
considering you can now buy diesel mondeos that are as quick as an 8v mk2, you should probably mod it.
S4 Avant. Eibach springs. 18" Avus. RS4 Intercoolers. Viper Tuned. Goes Fast.