Author Topic: mowlamb - "built not bought"  (Read 37206 times)

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
  • MK4 GT TDI 130 - DERV POWER!!
Re: mowlamb - GT TDI 130
« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2010, 13:06 »
Finally managed to get hold of an R32 gearknob thanks to chrisr103. I'm on the look out for some net optic interior trim so I can sand it down to get the brushed ali trim look of the R32 to match my knob.  :grin:

I also managed to give her a good clean and wax today.

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 22 December 2010, 08:23 »
Quick update with what's going on.

Due to money not a lot has happened recently and I kinda fell out of love with the golf for a bit but now I've decided to crack on with a few of the plans I had. The main reason for this has been the really nice looking golf's I've seen on here and uk-mkiv's in the past few weeks.

I've got 2 rear bumpers coming so that I can have a go at smoothing them. Should be fun!! I've also been after a front and rear valance for ages. Ideally I wanted the Votex one but as they are as rare as rocking horse sh!t I had kinda given up on that and was going to settle for an Anni one. However one came up for sale on uk-mkiv's so I snapped it up and that should arrive soon and should look awesome.

I'm Currently in the process of spraying my mirror covers black but due to all the cold weather I don't think it's a good time to be spraying stuff so they have gone on hold till after the new year. I've got the de-lock kit and will sort that out after the new year also.

For about 9 months now I have had some net optic trim which I have never got round to fitting but now the love is back for the car that will be fitted some time soon. And finally I have had some gloss black vinyl for about as long as I've had the trim so once again, once the weather warms up a bit, I will be attempting to put it on my roof.

All of these changes should help me get somewhere nearer to how I want the car to look. I am also going be saving for some BBs CH's and hopefully over the next year some genuine one's at the right price will pop up. :grin:

That's all for now :wink:

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 01 January 2011, 11:55 »
After falling out of love with the car I just couldn't be bothered to do anything to her. I've had some net optic trim and gloss black vinyl which I could have fitted for about 7 months but just couldn't be bothered. But just before Xmas something changed a now I got the bug again so the last week or so I have done a few little bits.

Firstly was my net optic trim, which as I said I have had sat in the garage for about 7 months now  :shocked:

I then finally decided it was time to sort my drivers window out. I had managed to cowboy it since the summer and it would stay shut however when the snow hit the weight of it on the window caused it to start to drop slightly so the time came to sort it. Managed to get a 2nd hand panel of thatwillis on here and was just a simple case of remove old panel, fit motor to new panel then fit new panel. Sorted!!

Then yesterday I went to see a friend from uk-mkivs who is the scrapyard king. He managed to get me some rear mudflaps with the white logo on for a fiver.

When I got home from his place I found that my bright blue LED door pins had arrived. I haven't got round to getting the wire to power the passenger one yet so I've just fitted the drivers side one for now. I would take a pic but it's hard to capture a flashing LED on camera. I'm going to try tonight when it is dark cos these things are bright!!  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 04 January 2011, 12:29 »
So, whilst bored last night I was looking around ukmkiv's and found a few threads on people that have colour coded their standard valances. I have a votex front valance on the way which I'm also going to spray myself but as money is tight I'm going to have a go at doing my rear valance. It's only a short term mod as once I have some money I will be getting an anni one but hopefully it will look good until I can get one.

I'm hopefully going to do a little DIY guide with pics to help others with no money but who are also fed up of the rubbish black valances.

The first stage which I started today is just sanding it down to smooth out any scuffs/scratches. As you can see in the first picture I also have the towing hook cover off. I'm going to colour code this too as it will stick out like a sore thumb once the valance is done.

I used some 80 grade sandpaper to get the scuffs/scratches out. I'm going to get some filler primer later on today to hopefully fill any little bits that I've missed. Then I can begin smoothing it even more with 600, 800 and 1200 wet and dry.

I have also decided to colour code the chrome part of the VW sharan badge Reflex Silver. That is in primer and should be finished in a day or so.

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 04 January 2011, 15:30 »
Right after sanding the rear valance with some 80 grade sandpaper I have now sprayed it with some filler primer. As far as I'm aware this stuff fills scuffs and scratches better than normal primer. I've done three coats of filler primer and now have to wait for it to harden, so I'm going to leave it overnight, before using 600, 800 and 1200 grade wet and dry to get the smooth finish I need before primer and then paint.

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 05 January 2011, 16:14 »
Todays update.....

Well today I decided to start sanding it all again to get it much smoother. I started with some 600 grade wet and dry which seemed to be smoothing it ok. I cleaned it with a cloth and dried it and run my hands along it to see how smooth I had got it. It was ok but not smooth enough so I dug out my various sheets of sandpaper and found some 240 grade and set about the smoothing process once more.

The 240 grade seemed to be doing a much better job so I took my time and worked every inch with it. I never went all the way back to the plastic all over the valance but it now feels quite smooth. I think I might be ready for the plastic primer now. The only problem is my local halfords have run out so I will have to go to another one 2moro after work.

Here are a couple of pics of how it is:

Any comments or advice welcome  :grin:

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 09 January 2011, 15:59 »
I've been busy removing the filler primer and sanding the valance to get it smooth. It is currently on it's 3rd coat of primer so once that is all dry I'll get a few pics. My question is this: There are a few scratches that were quite deep and I couldn't sand out. Can I now add a couple of coats of filler primer to help with these scratches?

Also I fitted the sharan badge that I Fully colour coded yesterday. Here are a few pics.

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 09 January 2011, 16:46 »
Here's the pics of the valance so far:

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 13 January 2011, 19:35 »
Here are a couple of pics of how it is now. It is not fully finished but I wanted to share some pics. I will be doing 2-3 more coats of lacquer 2moro and then will leave that overnight to dry/harden. I will then polish and wax it before finally fitting it. The last pics will be once it is fitted :grin:

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 20 January 2011, 19:10 »
Here is the finished article. The colour match isn't spot on as I think the valance looks a little darker in some lights. Here are a few pics tho :grin:

If my votex front valance doesn't arrive soon I will be doing this to the front valance as well :grin: