Author Topic: Oil Leak most likely culprit?  (Read 4135 times)

Offline Mixmasta

• GTI forum regular
Re: Oil Leak most likely culprit?
« Reply #20 on: 14 March 2010, 17:35 »
SUCCESS!!!!!

I've replaced both the crankshaft and int shaft oil seals and this has stopped the leak that side  :grin: to be honest I think it was the int shaft seal as this didn't look to be in situ as well as the others - couldn't be happier! the only leak to sort now is the leak from around the bottom of the distributor. I tried putting an o-ring on this and it's made it much worse  :sad: I have been told that the seal is literally only paper thin and as such I should just make my own..... will give it a bash! but anyone has advice on this that'd be great!, you never know this may mean I wouldn't have to keep putting in oil between services  :laugh: But I can exstaticly confirm leak which prompted this thread has now been resolved!.

Offline kraM

• Here all the time
  • It's not the speed, it's the sudden stops...
« Reply #21 on: 14 March 2010, 17:57 »
Gasket is paper on the dizzy, but...  Get proper gasket paper, or you may be able to buy this one seperatly (doubt it).  Before you take the dizzy out, mark it, the remove the dizzy s l o w l y and mark it again, as the internals twist as the feed and drive gears pass each other, making it a bit of an arse to get back into place first time.  Also it being a paper gasket, it is very fragile, and does not like the dizzy being pulled in and out of the hole.

(Hint) Take the dizzy cap off, wind the engine over until the rotor arm is pointing to the little cut out in the dizzy body, this should be TDC, the mark is about 1PM on the body.

Check the breather seals on the front of the block, next to the dizzy housing, also the oil cooler can leak if the locknut is not tight (above the oil filter)

Buy a load of TFR (traffic film remover) stick it in a pump bottle, drive to jet wash, spray engine, leave a few minutes, jetwash off, volia, super clean engine that makes oil leaks easy (ier) to trace.

I am not bored at the moment, not at all, sorry for the long reply  :smiley:

Cheers

kraM
It's not the speed... it's the sudden stops...

Offline Mixmasta

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 14 March 2010, 18:08 »
"I am not bored at the moment, not at all, sorry for the long reply  smiley"

:grin: :grin: :grin:

oooohhhh Sunday eves with the pre Monday blues I know the feeling well!

Thanks for this info, very helpfull. I always put the engine at tdc before taking the dizzy off force of habit I guess. I know it's definately coming from the dizzy as I made this worse by trying to fix it with an o-ring  :wink:

"Buy a load of TFR (traffic film remover) stick it in a pump bottle, drive to jet wash, spray engine, leave a few minutes, jetwash off, volia, super clean engine that makes oil leaks easy (ier) to trace."

very good tip!! i'm always dubious about jet washing engines though, I remember doing this on my other mk1 and it ran like a bag-o-bollox for a while afterwards even though I bagged up the essential electrics, but in this case needs must I guess

Thanks again Kram!

Offline kraM

• Here all the time
  • It's not the speed, it's the sudden stops...
« Reply #23 on: 14 March 2010, 18:13 »
No worries, just don't point the jet directly at the dizzy it's self, and leave the engine running.

Mark
It's not the speed... it's the sudden stops...

Offline Lee_dub

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 14 March 2010, 22:57 »
Glad you stuck at this mate.  At least you now have lots of new seals! Peace of mind!!!
Black mk1 2.0 16V - woop

Offline Mixmasta

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 15 March 2010, 19:16 »
"Glad you stuck at this mate.  At least you now have lots of new seals! Peace of mind!!!"

Cheers mate, that's kind of what I keep telling myself too, thing is, this one is getting sold later this year - shall be using pretty much your line with the new owner though  :grin:

Offline Lee_dub

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 15 March 2010, 23:39 »
point him/her at this thread so they can see what hell you went through!  :laugh:
Black mk1 2.0 16V - woop