Author Topic: replacing clutch cable  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
Re: replacing clutch cable
« Reply #10 on: 10 February 2010, 11:17 »
Glad you got it sorted :afro:

cheers Wayne

If you take up Yoga you can avoid taking out the clocks. Lie in the footwell and clip the cable to the pedal then connect the other end to the arm....easier than removing clocks Mate

yeah... I'd agree with this... taking clocks out doesn't seem necessary for this... but then again I have never taken clocks out before :grin:

i adopted a kind of 'stranded frog' pose with my arse on the ground and my back arched into the footwell... then when I had reached up under the dash I transferred into the 'drunken crab' position by lifting my arse off the ground and pushing myself up further with my legs... all the while grunting and swearing profusely  :grin:

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #11 on: 10 February 2010, 11:46 »

[/quote]

i adopted a kind of 'stranded frog' pose with my arse on the ground and my back arched into the footwell... then when I had reached up under the dash I transferred into the 'drunken crab' position by lifting my arse off the ground and pushing myself up further with my legs... all the while grunting and swearing profusely  :grin:
[/quote]

Swearing a must Mate !!!!!pmsl :grin: :grin:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 10 February 2010, 13:58 »
just a tip on fitting this clutch cable thingy

I when I fitted the cable back last night it was dark and I didn't secure the rubber bung that goes through the bulkhead... I didnt think this was all that important as the previous one on the cable that I took off was loose... I was going to make sure it was fitted properly today

when I tested the cable last night it had about an inch or so of play in it and the pedal felt all sloppy... it still selected but wasnt tightening

fitting the rubber bung securely held the cable in place and also allowed it to follow the correct path as it were... this then allowed the self adjuster to pull the cable into the right tension... no more sloppy cable

job done  :wink:

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #13 on: 10 February 2010, 14:41 »
Isn't the rubber bung just there to prevent water getting into the car??  It has no effect on the clutch cable whatsoever.  I did not put mine in right when I did mine and the clutch and cable were fine but my feet were cold and wet!!!!!!!

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 10 February 2010, 15:22 »
Isn't the rubber bung just there to prevent water getting into the car??  It has no effect on the clutch cable whatsoever.  I did not put mine in right when I did mine and the clutch and cable were fine but my feet were cold and wet!!!!!!!

well... i thought this too... i thing the bung in the scuttle panel serves the 'dry feet' purpose... however i think the bung in the bulkhead has some type of dual purpose... certainly, once I fitted it properly it decided to adjust the tension correctly

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 10 February 2010, 15:43 »
you have taken off the support band on the adjuster havent you.. and then i believe you pump the pedal 5x
Mk3 Golf Gti:Full Milltek system and Decat,K&N filter,mk2 Cam,-1.5 degree camber shims, borbet a's, toyo proxies,hot tuning coils, brembo vented discs, greenstuff pads...Soon to have Eaton Power

mk3 16v 5dr Gti,mintex extreme pads,drilled/grooved discs,lowered,cat back powerflow system,omp panel filter with modified airbox,debadged grill, started prep for spraying, lots to come :D

Bumper Vents :D

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 10 February 2010, 16:28 »
you have taken off the support band on the adjuster havent you.. and then i believe you pump the pedal 5x

the one that said... remove once you have fitted... yep... I removed that once I fitted it and then pumped the pedal 5x like mr haynes told me to  :smiley: