Author Topic: Cold idle and acceleration promblems  (Read 4409 times)

Offline flexiblefish98

• Here all the time
Re: Cold idle and acceleration promblems
« Reply #10 on: 07 December 2009, 22:23 »
Thanks again James,

CTS sounding likely from your description of problems it causes.
Car fine in higher rev range when you have your foot down, when it drops off or if you drive lazy with high gear low revs is when there is a problem, and pulling off, low revs.
Fuel smell worse on cold start, perhaps this remains more noticeable because CTS failure is causing ECU to overfuel?

Stewart

Offline javalin

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 08 December 2009, 08:50 »
>CTS failure is causing ECU to overfuel?
very possible.

Let us know how you get on.

James
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #12 on: 08 December 2009, 10:53 »
id start with cts also, but ideally you want the diagnostics sorted. one thing, check fuse for the ciggy lighter isnt blown, and ciggy lighter actually works. diagnostics port gets power from the same fuse :)

once thats sorted you can then check the measuring blocks to make sure the TPS and other sensors are reporting sensible values etc.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline flexiblefish98

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 08 December 2009, 20:17 »
Thanks for all the help fellas.
Just waiting for garage to get their arses in gear and look at the car!

Offline flexiblefish98

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 13 December 2009, 18:43 »
Mark 3 madness has moved on a little since last post!

New plugs, dizzy cap and rotor arm improved idleing a bit, doesn't stall out at low rev's, but still insn't a happy puppy from cold!
Took it for a blast after codes had been cleared and it cut out on the way home and would not re-start. No warning lights, just revs increased as power decreased and it cut out!
Car now abandoned awaiting recovery, will up date in the week as I know more!  :cry:

Offline Saville

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 14 December 2009, 16:32 »
hi, my mk3 gti 8v did the same, first thing, clean tb, and idle stabelizer valve! lf really dirty, replace piston rings and valves! then replace intake pipes! if it's still the same then it'!ure maf!! i replaced all the above as i got tired of  looking!!! good luck!

Offline flexiblefish98

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 21 December 2009, 12:32 »
 :cry: If anyone still reading this please help!

Golf remains firmly stuck at local garage, Idle improved from so far changing:
HT leads
Plugs
Dizzy Cap
Rotor arm
ECU relay
Coolant Temp switch
Vacuum pipes checked
and wiring seems ok
Car still 'hunts' slightly (around 850-900) on Idle and when cold feels like it will easily stall.
When driven car still not pulling well from low revs, cars 'bogs down' then pulls fine at higher revs, this happens in all gears.
Need some advice as to what next- car diagnostic throws up Lambda, this was changed around 12 months ago, don't know whether it could have failed again? Or is it the MAF sensor, even though not showing codes?
Any help greatly appreciated, running out of money and patience and getting bit depressed about the whole thing!
Cheers all

Offline javalin

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 21 December 2009, 13:05 »
>car diagnostic throws up Lambda
what exactly?

Only other obvious thing is the fuel pump relay (167)

James
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline flexiblefish98

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 21 December 2009, 13:33 »
Not sure exactly what code the computer is saying, will check with mechanic.
All they have said so far is Lambda.
Could fuel pump relay cause the hesitation on acceleration and the slight hunting at idling?
Thanks

Offline javalin

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 21 December 2009, 13:40 »
>Could fuel pump relay cause the hesitation on acceleration and the slight hunting at idling?
can do.  They have a known tendancy to go "dry" - that causes resistance thru the relay.  Worth a go.

>All they have said so far is Lambda.
ok.  get the codes they've seen and let us have them.  Many causes of lambda issues - common being vacuum leak, but you've checked that already.

James