Author Topic: Is there a bit missing here? It looks wrong :s  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Mr.Tom

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 169
Is there a bit missing here? It looks wrong :s
« on: 30 October 2009, 10:02 »
This is the view from the back of the engne.
MK3 GTi 2.0 late 96 (poss AGG?)
The gearbox on the left, and engine to the right. I'm guessing that is the fly wheel in the gap. It pushes out air when the engine is on, so I guess so.
Shouldn't there be a bit of engine to cover that?

Starting to think that the "minor" accident it had before I got it was not so minor :(
Would it be a MOT fail if there is a bit missing like that?
« Last Edit: 30 October 2009, 10:05 by Mr.Tom »

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Is there a bit missing here? It looks wrong :s
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2009, 11:33 »
yeah there should be a cover there, but its not a massive deal if missing. certainly wont fail the mot like that. its there to stop things getting into the bellhousing, if say a bolt fell in there it would get mached into the gearbox by the flywheel, and since box is aluminium it would loose vs steel bolt!  also stops clutch contamination if oil got in, but it would take a large amount to get in there and get on the friction disc, as it would mostly just drain out the bottom, plus the friction disc is pretty well covered by the fly and pressure plate.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Mr.Tom

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 169
Re: Is there a bit missing here? It looks wrong :s
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2009, 16:56 »
Good to know, thanks.
Surprised that it isn't on there still, as it looks like there should be a bolt holding it on.

Could it be causing the sound like a leaky exhaust blowing? The only place I cant get to to check is where the down pipe meets the engine :s

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Is there a bit missing here? It looks wrong :s
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2009, 00:04 »
Good to know, thanks.
Surprised that it isn't on there still, as it looks like there should be a bolt holding it on.

Could it be causing the sound like a leaky exhaust blowing? The only place I cant get to to check is where the down pipe meets the engine :s

I would suspect your exhaust is blowing.