Author Topic: Strange "whirring" noise at gear change and engine shut off.  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Mr.Tom

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 169
It also sometimes happens when I ease off the gass, so I guess mostly when the revs drop then :D
Sounds like something rubbing, and slowing down. It seems to be coming from the engine bay, on the drivers side, near the fire wall. possibly at a large round item that I don't know the name of near the top of the bay :D
Car is a Mk3 2.0 GTi. P reg. All is working well other than that it seems.
Any ideas, or is it a feature that I will have to get used to?
Cheers.

Offline Thegolfman

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 85
Re: Strange "whirring" noise at gear change and engine shut off.
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2009, 05:02 »
Possibly the clutch release bearing?
Cheers, Tony.

Offline Dan34

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,966
  • VTEC Powerzzzz
Re: Strange "whirring" noise at gear change and engine shut off.
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2009, 10:12 »
Possibly the clutch release bearing?

+1 im thinking that too.

Dan

Offline Mr.Tom

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 169
Re: Strange "whirring" noise at gear change and engine shut off.
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2009, 07:16 »
The clutch was replaced beginning of last year. But it sounds like it is coming from near the top of the engine bay. In front of the steering wheel area.
Clutch cable has just been replaced as well, if that would make any difference (sound was present before and after replacement)

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Strange "whirring" noise at gear change and engine shut off.
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2009, 11:37 »
Could be your alternatnor maybe.