Hi all, sorry it's a long one!
Not posted before as my 2.0 8v Mk3 Gti has always been good to me!
Recently though (last month) the engine (ADY) cut out and wouldnt re-start. Electrics ok but no power.
A breather pipe to the throttle body popped off while trying so returned to it next day with a jubilee clip, reconnected hose and it started fine. Overheating I thought.
Week later after driving for about 30mins and 10mins in town it cut out again outside a friends house.
Had a cuppa with the bonnet open, cooled it down and started no prob. Defo Overheating, maybe fan.
Nursed it home but the next morning it wouldnt start at all.
No spark so replaced worn dizzy, rotor arm ok. Still no spark.
Fuses all ok so replaced the Coil and it started and ran fine.
Tested fan and it too was fine.
Last week drove 50 miles on A roads to my folks house and parked up.
Went to leave and nothing. Engine not turning and no started noise.
Shorted across the starter which fired the solenoid but the dog didnt engage.
Bump started with a tow from the old man. Ran fine. Turned it off, still nothing so bumped it again.
Nursed it home again (50miles really not wanting to stall!).
Replaced the starter at a garage coz I didn't have time.
When it was done the guy said that when they put the new starter in it started firing on it's own!
They stopped it and checked it again but it didn't do it again.
When I went to pick it up I drove it back from the garage and when I tried to turn the engine off the starter began firing again!
Checked it for the next few days but it behaved itself.
Then went in to town yesterday, smelt burning for a little while and when I got into town and cut the engine..nothing. New starter burnt out too.
Does anybody know of any obvious problem that may cause the coil and 2 starters to burn out?
It's been hot everytime something goes so heat altering electricals?
Anything else I could look at? I'm not a car mechanic but I can work a spanner ok.
After reading other posts I'll look at the earth under the battery etc but wouldn't expect an earth problem to do this!
All ideas welcome as I'm stumped.
