Author Topic: I need one of these in my life  (Read 3739 times)

Offline the_stink

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,308
  • A3 140 TDI

Offline topher

  • Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 9,557
  • fully functioning
Re: I need one of these in my life
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2009, 10:49 »
have to say i was impressed with jbs's prices on their turbo kits once the new website was FINALLY live (about 14 months after they said it would be!)

i assume that 7k includes fitting - not bad at all for a drive-in drive-out bolt on kit.

Offline Waffs1984

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 575
  • Spacers are for chumps...
Re: I need one of these in my life
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2009, 11:18 »
Waste of money IMO - £7 is almost the value of an older R32 now, and £18.5k for the biggest power kit is just stupid. I think its more one of these mods that people do "just because they can"

That said the infamous video of the turbo'd R32 on youtube is a classic and it would be great to have that sort of power!
Mk4 GTi-T AUM l R-Tech Stage 1 l AP Coilovers l Forge 007p l New Style RS4's 18" l Toyo Proxies 4 l Hofele Bumper Grills l Silver Interior Trim l N249 Bypass l Front & Rear Powerflex bushes l Forge TIP l CAI l GolfGTi.co.uk Stickers l Catch Can Fitted & PCV System Deleted l Redstuff Rear Pads l More to come...

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: I need one of these in my life
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2009, 11:38 »
Madness, £7k would buy another car.

Offline the_stink

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,308
  • A3 140 TDI
Re: I need one of these in my life
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2009, 11:40 »
thats the thing is it silly money for what it is sme of the guys on R32oc have the 440 kits!!! 10k but it is one of those things more a case i can have it so i will

im sure it would be silly fun though :)

Offline A7 UFO

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,052
Re: I need one of these in my life
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2009, 11:50 »
what's wrong with spending £18.5k on creating a 650bhp car?  You name me another car that keeps you dry, air conditioned and sat in modern comfort whilst getting you to 60mph in 3.1secs for less than £35k.

Offline AlanD

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 9,946
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
Re: I need one of these in my life
« Reply #6 on: 20 August 2009, 11:56 »
what's wrong with spending £18.5k on creating a 650bhp car?  You name me another car that keeps you dry, air conditioned and sat in modern comfort whilst getting you to 60mph in 3.1secs for less than £35k.

Technically its more than 18.5k as thats just for the cost of the upgrade. Add (for augments sake) another 12k for a tidy MK4 R32 = £30,500.

Offline Horney

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,782
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: I need one of these in my life
« Reply #7 on: 20 August 2009, 12:01 »
what's wrong with spending £18.5k on creating a 650bhp car?  You name me another car that keeps you dry, air conditioned and sat in modern comfort whilst getting you to 60mph in 3.1secs for less than £35k.

Technically its more than 18.5k as thats just for the cost of the upgrade. Add (for augments sake) another 12k for a tidy MK4 R32 = £30,500.

That's used 911 teritory BUT you can take your kids to school in a boosted R32. Probably if you were spending that much then you'd also want to look at RS4's and M5's but if you love your dubs then a boosted R32 is probably going to be your choice. The one real downside is resale value. A production car with that kind of pace and performance will have slower depreciation than a boosted R32.

Is it a waste of money? Maybe. Certainly better than spending loads on nasty bodykits and stupid ICE installs though.

nick

Offline T_J_G

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 8,279
Re: I need one of these in my life
« Reply #8 on: 20 August 2009, 12:13 »
Um Joe, sorry this site is for GTI owners. You're not allowed here.

 :lipsrsealed: :drool: :grin: :wink:

Offline A7 UFO

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,052
Re: I need one of these in my life
« Reply #9 on: 20 August 2009, 12:15 »
what's wrong with spending £18.5k on creating a 650bhp car?  You name me another car that keeps you dry, air conditioned and sat in modern comfort whilst getting you to 60mph in 3.1secs for less than £35k.

Technically its more than 18.5k as thats just for the cost of the upgrade. Add (for augments sake) another 12k for a tidy MK4 R32 = £30,500.
that's why I said "for less than £35k" as it allows for purchase price and chassis and brake upgrades.

If it were me, I'd lean towards modding an old S4/RS4.  Always easier to work with an engine that's already turbo'd.