Author Topic: Payment before collection  (Read 6667 times)

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
Re: Payment before collection
« Reply #10 on: 17 August 2009, 22:40 »

fair point, will defo have a good look around the car when i get it.  though an hour seems slightly OTT
Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline adw555

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 18 August 2009, 08:19 »
I'd never pay before inspecting the car first....for my mk 5 I spent at least an hour going over it before paying by switch...same with the mk 6..only this time they said a cheque would be fine...but in both cases I took time to check it out first as much as I could..

though isn't that why you have a warranty?  anything wrong with it just take it back.

They are a bit like builders...once they have your money it's harder to get things sorted quickly and properly. If I'd found any issues, I'd have just walked away from the car as they didn't ask me for a deposit when I ordered mine  :smiley:

Having said that, I've a mark 6 with an engine problem, in that it sometimes idles far too high. They hook it up to vagcom and it says all is fine....VW haven't heard of this before (standard answer). Now they want to take the car for a week and have someone drive about in it with a laptop connected..

...so check it out as much as you can before handing over your cash...hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a dog like mine  :sad:

Offline AlanH

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 18 August 2009, 08:59 »
A week  :shocked: Worth making a careful note of the mileage before and after. And check for signs of sand in the boot. Sounds like someone's looking for a cheap holiday car for a week  :smiley:
Mk7 GTD | 3-door, Carbon Grey, Keyless, Dynaudio, Pano roof.

Offline adw555

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 18 August 2009, 09:06 »
Oh, there is no chance I'm leaving it with them for a week, for someone in the workshop to take home every night and rag the ass off it...to be honest, after 3 weeks of this nonsense and all the other issues I'd rather just try and get rid of it.

Going to ring the stealer today and see how much they will buy the car off me for....3 weeks old and 400 miles on it. They mentioned numerous times they have a waiting list for people wanting to order one so I'm sure they could shift the dog onto some other poor soul  :wink:

the mk 6 is a great car if you get a good one, but I should have kept my mk5 GTI or gone down the BMW route after all....ahhhh...
« Last Edit: 05 October 2009, 20:41 by adw555 »

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #14 on: 18 August 2009, 10:48 »
I cant believe some dealers are taking a cheque and then letting you walk out with a 22k car ! :shocked:

Offline Radek

• GTI forum regular
  • Good things come to those who wait
« Reply #15 on: 18 August 2009, 11:40 »
How about a bank's cheque or debit card payment?
Golf GTI VI DSG - died on the road, resurrected, came back as zombi, sold
R - rising blue, 5-door, DSG, ACC, something something...

Offline adw555

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 18 August 2009, 11:40 »
well, other members of the family have bought cars from the same stealer...so I guess they are trusting..

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
« Reply #17 on: 18 August 2009, 21:07 »
I paid for mine with a bankers draft, phoned bank the day before collection and popped in past on the morning of collection.  No problems at all and no embarrasing phone calls and having to give pass words and what the last use of your card was for etc.
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 18 August 2009, 21:13 »
I paid £22,000 on my debit card on the day i picked it up,no security checks or anything like that.
Golfgti build quality is average at best.

Offline DonnieDarko

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 18 August 2009, 21:23 »
Oh, there is no chance I'm leaving it with them for a week, for some loon in the workshop to take home every night and rag the ass off it...to be honest, after 3 weeks of this nonsense and all the other issues I'd rather just try and get rid of it.

Going to ring the stealer today and see how much they will buy the car off me for....3 weeks old and 400 miles on it. They mentioned numerous times they have a waiting list for people wanting to order one so I'm sure they could shift the dog onto some other poor soul  :wink:

the mk 6 is a great car if you get a good one, but I should have kept my mk5 GTI or gone down the BMW route after all....ahhhh...

don't they do the 1,000 mile/ 1 month no questions exchange anymore? if it is a lemon they should do it anyway- don't take a trade price off them for a problem car
Just sold an S5 - previously mkV R32 DSG Metallic Grey with RNS 510 (thanks to MortyGT140)