Author Topic: The real bike carb info Thread ! The ones who have them fitted please ,  (Read 28781 times)

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
If not where would could I buy some suitable steel (what steel would be best?) from? I know a few people who can weld, so if i bought the steel they could cut it up and weld it for me.

The point is that making the inlet out of steel is a total fail because it transfers heat so beautifully - heating your inlet charge and vapourising fuel in one smooth motion.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline DoogalDoogz

• GTI forum regular
So what should be used?

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
it steel also rusts and petrol is very good at keeping it clean to help it rust more,  that wouldn't be a problem but the enigne trys to suck it in.

also steel is easy to weld but it a b!tch to tidy up on the inside. ALI dosent rust, easy to shape internaly  with die grinder.

beat material is actualy composit, but bit expensive to do in low volume
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline molegti

• Here all the time
I havent fitted them to a Golf but I have fitted them to a kit car as a fairly cheap method of fueling. Used CBR 600 carbs, homemade manifold (mild steel) and fastened the carbs on using the original rubbers. As far a the fuel pump is concerned I used one of a bike which cuts out after it fills the float bowls.

Mild steel isnt the best material to use but it is cheap and weldable at home. As far as it conducting heat it is less conductive than aluminium which is what Boggs Bros use. Others have used steel as well so it isnt a non starter and really the only way to do it on a budget.

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
i have horrible visions of a bit of pipe thats been crushed in a vice slashed at an angel and gobed on with a bit of weld  :sad:

steel can be a PITA  to work with espectaly with what you'll be trying to do with it

Offline DOA

• I live here
i have horrible visions of a bit of pipe thats been crushed in a vice slashed at an angel and gobed on with a bit of weld  :sad:

steel can be a PITA  to work with espectaly with what you'll be trying to do with it

Thats pretty much what Ive done for fitting some throttle bodies and steel would have been much easier as it doesnt need anealing to stop it cracking as you crush it to the required shape. You can still do a good job with this method (and lots of people do it this way) with the alternatives to produce a "nice" result being a lot more work/expensive to make (casting, machining from solid, composites, formed and welded sheet).

As for the other reasons why you shouldnt use steel that have been mentioned here, what a load of rubbish. Ali conducts heat much much faster than steel ever will, can be a bugger to form (it cracks when forming if not carefull), is a git to weld as a rule, is more expensive to buy and, like steel, even ali needs some form of corrosion protection to stop it from crumbling in front of you. The only real advantages ali has in this situation is that its a bit easier to machine and that its lower in weight which even then you could get that down using steel as you can use much thinner material for the same strength.

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
you'll knock a steel manifold out for bugger all cost, with not much effort in a coule of hours.   but it will never be optimal   ali needs more effort and cost more but you can shape it so much more easly and when working onthe inside where it matters and actualy takes soem effort that helps a lot