Author Topic: Fan Control Module?  (Read 1184 times)

Offline gtitdi

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 436
Fan Control Module?
« on: 10 August 2009, 12:44 »
Hi

Wondering if anyone can help me out on this..

A friend has a 53 plate Polo. It has a problem with the fans where they come on with the ignition (both fans) and remain active for about 3 minutes after the car is switched off even when the engine has only been on for a few minutes...

I assume this is the notorious fan control module.. am I right in thinking this?
Also, does anyone know its location in a MK6 Polo?

Cheers  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 10 August 2009, 12:54 by gtitdi »

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Fan Control Module?
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2009, 13:25 »
could be the fan after-run sensor wire has fallen off and is grounding to the chassis? look around the inlet/exhaust manifold area for a single pin sensor and a random loose black wire
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline gtitdi

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 436
Re: Fan Control Module?
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2009, 13:33 »
At the back of the engine block or underneath? Would this cause the fans to run constantly from the second the ignition is turned (engine not started)? Cheers

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Fan Control Module?
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2009, 14:11 »
not sure on a polo, on the abf its oon the front of the inlet manifold, 8v its round the back of the head on a bracket near the manifold iirc?
if the wire is earthed it brings the fans on for a short time, si id imagine it would trigger them as soon as the key is turned, but I've not owned a car with the system fitted so cant say for sure.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.