Author Topic: Does anyone know in laymans terms what oil is used fot the mk6 gti  (Read 13852 times)

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
yaaay so what I have in my hands right now is the best oil for my sweet GTI... ahem, dont ask why I am having a bottle of auto oil in my bedroom... ahem... <cough> <cough> synthetic oil isnt harmful to the skin, right? If a little got onto my hands?

is it that time of night already?!

:sick: :sick:
Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
yaaay so what I have in my hands right now is the best oil for my sweet GTI... ahem, dont ask why I am having a bottle of auto oil in my bedroom... ahem... <cough> <cough> synthetic oil isnt harmful to the skin, right? If a little got onto my hands?

Whilst Castrol is superb in a GTI, I doubt it is much cop as a 'personal lubricant'.

dum-de-dum-de-dum . . . .  :evil: :evil:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
[
Nope - no good for modern VAGs.  Castrol Edge Sport is a 'rebadged' Castrol Formula RS 10w40 - and is NOT suitable for direct injection engines!
[/quote]
The vw parts number for the oil is the quoted on the back of the castrol edge  0-30 bottle so i would assume you can use it.( vw 502)
[/quote]

'502.00' isn't a VW parts number at all.  It is merely an oil specification standard - and any oil company who makes an oil to that standard can submit a sample to VW for testing and evaluation - and be granted said standard.

But 502 is still NOT the best oil for the GTI.  504 oils are considerably higher quality, and VW workshops MUST now only use 504 oils.
[/quote]
why does the owners handbook say to use 502.00 for non long life service then ?
Golfgti build quality is average at best.

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
If you are only topping up in between services,say less than half a ltr in a year using 502 this surely would not be enough to dilute or effect the other 4.5 ltrs of oil in the engine ? :undecided:, i still can`t get my head around the vw golf gti owners handboook saying to use 502 on non longlife service and this being incorrect :undecided:
Can anyone say what standard oil all gti mk6`s are filled with when they leave the production line and if it was 502 can you top it up with 504 :undecided:
« Last Edit: 18 August 2009, 21:50 by simonpolly »

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
If you are only topping up in between services,say less than half a ltr in a year using 502 this surely would not be enough to dilute or effect the other 4.5 ltrs of oil in the engine ? :undecided:, i still can`t get my head around the vw golf gti owners handboook saying to use 502 on non longlife service and this being incorrect :undecided:

As TT said to me earlier, he is just a guy on a forum. If it tells you to do something in the owners handbook you really should do it, the creators of the engine may know what they are talking about too. I know this is 'just' about oil, but if you shuv in stuff thats not what VW recommend you use, I would imagine they would try and use it against you if warranty issues ever came in to play.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
I tend to agree,if it says top up with 502 in the handbook how could they then say you should have used 504 and if its only topping up there is no way they could tell unless they drained off all the oil and sent it off for analysis

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
Use whatever the handbook states, it won't be wrong.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
Cheers, i tend to agree

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
Cheers, i tend to agree

and at least you've got it in writing from them in case anything goes wrong.... which i doubt it will..... touch wood!
Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
I tend to agree,if it says top up with 502 in the handbook how could they then say you should have used 504 and if its only topping up there is no way they could tell unless they drained off all the oil and sent it off for analysis

I think TT meant the 504 is a better oil. Not that you shouldnt use it.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"