Author Topic: Super or regular?  (Read 31144 times)

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
Re: Super or regular?
« Reply #10 on: 16 July 2009, 00:02 »
I suppose it all depends on what people can afford. Put sh!te in get sh!te out is something to think about. Also, if you spend on average inc extras £25k on a car, you should give it a good drink.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #11 on: 16 July 2009, 00:03 »
i used regular for my beemer because i could, and because it wasn't a really a proper sports car.  so i just drove it (relatively) sedately.

question is though boys and girl, do you have to use super in the GTI?

Nah, would prob run on cooking oil.   :grin:

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 16 July 2009, 06:12 »
One of our users commented that using higher octane fuel than your engine requires actually gives no benefit and may be a waste of money. This is because virtually NO engines require 98 RON over 95, and the market for 'super' fuels seems to be based on people's misunderstanding of octane ratings and the placebo effect of filling up with 'more powerful' fuel - making motorists think their engine is running better in some way. What do the fuel companies say then, to justify the "increased power" claims for the super grade fuels? Some companies say that while all fuels contain cleaning additives, 'super' fuels contain more or better detergents to keep the injectors cleaner than standard fuel. Others say the fuel is a few percent denser which gives slightly more power per litre. These benefits may be marginal though in comparison to the extra cost involved so it is worth ensuring that your engine will actually benefit before filling up.

Some engines actually do need higher octane fuel, such as race engines with very high compression and some turbocharged engines, such as the import version of the Nissan Skyline. Also, a few vehicles, such as the new BMW K1200R motorbike, can sense knock and adjust their engine tuning to take advantage of higher grade fuels. Another user commented that the 2004 BMW 330 also does this, according to the driver's handbook it makes 231 BHP on 98 octane and 221 BHP on 95. This ability is apparently widespread amongst German performance cars using Bosch / Siemens electronic engine controls.
Golfgti build quality is average at best.

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 16 July 2009, 07:39 »
To answer the question specifically, no you do not have to run the car on super.  I ran my scirocco on either and you can't really feel the difference in performance behind the wheel.  However, get the car on a dyno and you will see the differences in performance on different fuels can be significant.

There was a test in a magazine a couple of years ago and the fuel that came out top was Tesco 99ron, beating all the other posh fuels.

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 16 July 2009, 07:41 »
If the new engine still uses FSI technology you do have to use super (98RON or above acording to my fuel flap) to get the stated performance and economy.  The engine has been designed to use super and if its anything like the mk5 engine there will be a noticable drop in performance and fuel consumption if you use regular petrol.

Have a look in the mk5 section on an explanation of FSI and what it does or wiki, should become clearer then what the importance is.

I had to use the normal stuff for a week and the difference was very apparant.

V-Power and Tesco 99 generally regarded as very good.

BP stuff generally regarded as shyte.

Its pretty simple, if its been set up to run on super - use super.  If it hasn't, don't waste your money.  But the new VAG engines using FSI are set up for super.
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 16 July 2009, 08:23 »
the new Gti does not need to run on 98ron like the mk5 gti used to. 95ron will be fine.

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 16 July 2009, 08:29 »
the new Gti does not need to run on 98ron like the mk5 gti used to. 95ron will be fine.

Elaborate please?

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #17 on: 16 July 2009, 08:36 »
I've heard all this before from auto nuts, so somebody explain.  What's the benefit?

For the record, I've never put anything but el cheapo unleaded in the Peuteot GTi, and never even looked at what brand it was.  Like I said, 118,000 miles and 11 and a half years, and counting.

What benefits do you get from the pricier petrol (as if it wasn't dear enough!), and how does it work?

Rolfe.

Lol, I hear you. Might this be another case of the old placebo effect, Rolfe? :)

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #18 on: 16 July 2009, 09:24 »
OK try it yourself.

Put 98/99 RON in your GTI for a few months. Then try a tankful of 95 (don't mix with the 98/99 RON).

Wouldn't advise doing this the other way around as I'm fairly certain the VW FSI engines are designed for 98/99 (although they can run on 95 if needed).

You will notice a loss of performance and economy.

I have done this with a couple of VW FSI engined cars.
Even the wife  :kiss: noticed the difference and I didn't tell her about the different petrol so no placebo effect here.

« Last Edit: 16 July 2009, 09:26 by GolfTi »
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 16 July 2009, 09:37 »
OK try it yourself.

Put 98/99 RON in your GTI for a few months. Then try a tankful of 95 (don't mix with the 98/99 RON).

Wouldn't advise doing this the other way around as I'm fairly certain the VW FSI engines are designed for 98/99 (although they can run on 95 if needed).

You will notice a loss of performance and economy.

I have done this with a couple of VW FSI engined cars.
Even the wife  :kiss: noticed the difference and I didn't tell her about the different petrol so no placebo effect here.

Agreed.

I ran my old 1.8T (not FSI) on normal and super and couldn't really tell the difference except a little bit on my pocket.

The (mk5 anyway) 2.0T FSI is designed to run on 98 and there really is a difference when you run it on 95.  Not so noticable low down the rev range but when you open the taps its like someone has stolen half your engine.

Don't know much about the mk6 engine but if its FSI it almost certainly will be designed to run on a higher octane ie super unleaded.

They can be run perfectly safely on 95 but you miss out on all the fun and economy benefits.
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate