Author Topic: Manual or DSG?  (Read 103350 times)

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
Re: Manual or DSG?
« Reply #20 on: 10 July 2009, 11:18 »
I just checked the advertised figures for the Mk VI, and these are (combined) 38.8 for the manual and 38.3 for the DSG.

The manual has it, according to that, but half a mile per gallon isn't anything to lose sleep over.

Rolfe.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #21 on: 10 July 2009, 11:29 »
Found this in my travels... TT DSG Vs TT Manual

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LROqVLz4z8M

DSG was 0.4 secs faster round a track.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #22 on: 10 July 2009, 11:33 »
No they dont mate

(ed30 and R32, cant find GTI)

Ed30 (man)                    R32 (man)
Urban:                          24.8                                18.8
Extra-urban:                 44.1                                33.6
Combined:                    34.0                                26.2

Ed30 (DSG)                    R32 (DSG)
Urban:                          26.2                                21.4
Extra-urban:                 44.8                                36.2
Combined:                    35.3                                28.8

Check out the VW site or  a brochure.
The GTI manual has a better mpg, lower CO2 and higher top end. Fact.
That's a GTI mk6 manual compared with a GTI mk6 DSG. (VW official figures)
« Last Edit: 10 July 2009, 11:39 by GolfTi »
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Jkctr

« Reply #23 on: 10 July 2009, 12:24 »
You mean the same 'official' 0-60 of 7.2 when it was being tested at nearly a second quicker  :rolleyes:

Writing fact at the end proves nothing mate, DSG is more economical, it is always in the optimum gear for the revs which uses as little power as possible when in D and driving slowly.

I just posted up the stats for you to see!

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #24 on: 10 July 2009, 12:34 »
You mean the same 'official' 0-60 of 7.2 when it was being tested at nearly a second quicker  :rolleyes:

Writing fact at the end proves nothing mate, DSG is more economical, it is always in the optimum gear for the revs which uses as little power as possible when in D and driving slowly.

I just posted up the stats for you to see!

I think we can agree to disagree on this one.
Have VW got their figures wrong?
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Jkctr

« Reply #25 on: 10 July 2009, 12:42 »
Unsure, seems strange there is a noticable difference on the MK5 (in various engines from ED30 to R32) but there is a minor difference with the MK6 and it the other way around?

In all the MK5's the DSG is the more economical option, proven and backed up by various owners of both and comparisons. Will have to wait for more road tests and facts from sources other than VW.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #26 on: 10 July 2009, 12:44 »
Unsure, seems strange there is a noticable difference on the MK5 (in various engines from ED30 to R32) but there is a minor difference with the MK6 and it the other way around?

In all the MK5's the DSG is the more economical option, proven and backed up by various owners of both and comparisons. Will have to wait for more road tests and facts from sources other than VW.

i think there's an article in last month's EVO about the way automatics are tested and how in fact the tests are very biased against manuals!! its all to do with what gear the cars are tested in so the official figures we see are actually very far off the everyday driving figures!!

i'll try and dig the article out - made for some interesting reading!!

Offline Egbutt Wash

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 10 July 2009, 14:23 »
Tootling along in 6th, spot a gap that will get you safely out of the way of some gormless driving, press accelerator and the best gear is selected in an instant.  The little turbo spools up quickly and you are away.  Perfect every time.

In a manual everyone faffs around when the unexpected happens.  Fine on a track but not so good in real life.
Currently digging a bunker.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #28 on: 10 July 2009, 14:32 »
Tootling along in 6th, spot a gap that will get you safely out of the way of some gormless driving, press accelerator and the best gear is selected in an instant.  The little turbo spools up quickly and you are away.  Perfect every time.

In a manual everyone faffs around when the unexpected happens.  Fine on a track but not so good in real life.

Your on a road dude, not a race track, or you've been watching Fast and Furious too many times.  :grin:

Not all manual drivers faff about, I'm pretty sure I speak for a lot of people when I say we know what gear were in, we know how fast were going and we know what gear to drop to to get the best acceleration, it may take a split second longer than a DSG (I believe reactions play a big part too) but does anyone really care ?

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 10 July 2009, 14:48 »
These last two posts perfectly demonstrate why the DSG will suit some people but not others.  I freely admit I'm in the first group.  I'm frequently tootling along in 6th and do exactly as described.  OK, I get past well enough, but I'd be a lot better off if I changed down.  I recognise my deficiencies in this respect, and realise that it's worth my while shelling out for the DSG.

And I'm sure there are also lots of people in the second group, who have a reflex action that picks the right gear and selects it before carrying out any manoeuvre.  Jolly good.  You're a better driver than me.  You have no need to shell out for the DSG.

Isn't it great that VW makes both sorts of cars, and we can each choose the one that suits us best!  So, can we discuss the pros and cons sensibly, to allow everyone to decide which choice is best for them, and not get aerated that one or the other is objectively "best"?

Rolfe.