Author Topic: horrible burning smell???  (Read 1594 times)

Offline avengedslayer

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 672
horrible burning smell???
« on: 14 May 2009, 15:54 »
yup i keep getting horrible burning smells when im waiting at traffic lights or just generally sitting somewhere in ar with engine running! any ideas??

Offline Horney

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,782
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: horrible burning smell???
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2009, 15:55 »
Oil leaking on something hot. Mine did that and it was leaking from the top of the filter housing.

nick

Offline avengedslayer

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 672
Re: horrible burning smell???
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2009, 15:59 »
cheers hopefully i will get time this weekend to give it a good looking over! although there are no traces of oil leak :smiley:

Offline mk3valver

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 432
Re: horrible burning smell???
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2009, 16:22 »
If it's really repulsive may be your clutch?

Offline Rmachines

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,901
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
Re: horrible burning smell???
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2009, 18:20 »
my 1.8 leaks oil from the rocker cover gasket, it sits on the intake manifold untill it builds up and runs on the exhaust manifold, then fills the engine bay with smoke, i would check for leaking oil!
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!


Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: horrible burning smell???
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2009, 19:11 »
It is also worth checking your breather hoses.

Offline avengedslayer

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 672
Re: horrible burning smell???
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2009, 19:13 »
yea they keep getting clogged up actually and I noticed my rocker box grommet has split! :angry:

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: horrible burning smell???
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2009, 19:15 »
I had a smell in the cabin on mine, was not a burning smell as such but was horrid, checked and found a breather pipe split.

Offline avengedslayer

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 672
Re: horrible burning smell???
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2009, 19:31 »
that might be it! would new hoses be a good idea then? would I have to go to the vw dealers to get new ones? :smiley:

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: horrible burning smell???
« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2009, 20:06 »
that might be it! would new hoses be a good idea then? would I have to go to the vw dealers to get new ones? :smiley:

Have a good look over and see if any are split, yes you can get them if needed from VW.