Author Topic: Wiring sidelights to indicators  (Read 14119 times)

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Wiring sidelights to indicators
« on: 28 April 2009, 21:58 »
right. Looking to wire my sidelights to the front indicators.

Is it MOT passable so when i turn them on, the indicator will flash as usual but when i cancel the indicator rather than turning off, it will bright up again?
If so, then what do I have to do to wire them up? Just bridge the side lights to the indicators?

Offline shepgti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,893
Re: Wiring sidelights to indicators
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2009, 22:00 »
why would you want to do this???

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: Wiring sidelights to indicators
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2009, 22:02 »
why would you want to do this???

reckon it would look pretty sweet at night dude + its something different.

Offline VR6-Joe

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,638
Re: Wiring sidelights to indicators
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2009, 22:07 »
You mean like US style running lights?

If so, no. You have to drill holes in the back of your indicators, wedge a sidelight bulb holder in the holes with an orange bulb in them, and then connect the wires from the sidelight bulb holder to the sidelights inside your headlights.

Been there, done that. Will be doing it again when I get another Mk3 cus I want a US spec front bumper to go with the running lights :cool:
Gone but not forgotten;
1983 Mk1 Golf GX - 1991 Mk2 Golf GTI - 1988 Scirocco Scala - 1989 Mk2 Golf CL - 1993 Mk3 Golf Ryder - 1996 Mk3 Golf SE - 1996 Mk3 Golf CL - 1995 Mk3 Golf GTI 16v - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6 Highline - 2003 Saxo VTR - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6

Offline VR6-Joe

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,638
Re: Wiring sidelights to indicators
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2009, 22:09 »
Gone but not forgotten;
1983 Mk1 Golf GX - 1991 Mk2 Golf GTI - 1988 Scirocco Scala - 1989 Mk2 Golf CL - 1993 Mk3 Golf Ryder - 1996 Mk3 Golf SE - 1996 Mk3 Golf CL - 1995 Mk3 Golf GTI 16v - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6 Highline - 2003 Saxo VTR - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: Wiring sidelights to indicators
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2009, 22:12 »
You mean like US style running lights?

If so, no. You have to drill holes in the back of your indicators, wedge a sidelight bulb holder in the holes with an orange bulb in them, and then connect the wires from the sidelight bulb holder to the sidelights inside your headlights.

Been there, done that. Will be doing it again when I get another Mk3 cus I want a US spec front bumper to go with the running lights :cool:
Nice one mate, exactly as in your pic is what im looking for.

Do the sidelight bulb holders go cheap?

Offline VR6-Joe

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,638
Re: Wiring sidelights to indicators
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2009, 22:14 »
I walked into a scrapyard, found a Mk3 with broken headlights, and borrowed the sidelight bulb holders out of the headlights :wink:
Gone but not forgotten;
1983 Mk1 Golf GX - 1991 Mk2 Golf GTI - 1988 Scirocco Scala - 1989 Mk2 Golf CL - 1993 Mk3 Golf Ryder - 1996 Mk3 Golf SE - 1996 Mk3 Golf CL - 1995 Mk3 Golf GTI 16v - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6 Highline - 2003 Saxo VTR - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: Wiring sidelights to indicators
« Reply #7 on: 28 April 2009, 22:17 »
I walked into a scrapyard, found a Mk3 with broken headlights, and borrowed the sidelight bulb holders out of the headlights :wink:

oh yeah. Duh me! Im actualy going to a scrappy tomorrow, gonna get some boot struts and turn them to bonnet lifters. So will grab sidelight holders and find some orange bulbs. Nice one dude. Cheers.

Offline VR6-Joe

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,638
Re: Wiring sidelights to indicators
« Reply #8 on: 28 April 2009, 22:20 »
No problem mate, glad I could help.

Just make sure that when you get the sidelight bulb holders, you cut the wiring far enough back to fit connectors on :wink:
Gone but not forgotten;
1983 Mk1 Golf GX - 1991 Mk2 Golf GTI - 1988 Scirocco Scala - 1989 Mk2 Golf CL - 1993 Mk3 Golf Ryder - 1996 Mk3 Golf SE - 1996 Mk3 Golf CL - 1995 Mk3 Golf GTI 16v - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6 Highline - 2003 Saxo VTR - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: Wiring sidelights to indicators
« Reply #9 on: 28 April 2009, 22:23 »
No problem mate, glad I could help.

Just make sure that when you get the sidelight bulb holders, you cut the wiring far enough back to fit connectors on :wink:
yeah deffo. Will get as much wire as I can. I'l try and sneak them in my pocket too lol.