Author Topic: MK1 MFA MPG Problem  (Read 2451 times)

Offline gee

• Not said much yet
MK1 MFA MPG Problem
« on: 29 July 2004, 11:04 »
Hey All!
I should have added this to the last post... but best to seperate all the problems I suppose! I have a MK1 Golf GTI that was a 1.6 but now has a 1.9 engine that was done by TSR. The trip computer on the car works apart from the MPG meter. This might be because the engine was replced but not sure. I would however like to check the sensor or even get this working again, but know jack about engines  :-\
Any advice???

Many thanks in advance,
Gee
Happiness is a good health and a bad memory.

Offline Joester

• Not said much yet
Re:MK1 MFA MPG Problem
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2004, 13:28 »
I am currently trying to source a 'Reverse Light Switch with Consumption Indicator', which is a brown plastic L-shaped thingy that bolts into a hole in the top of the bellhousing.
As far as I know, it does two things, it turns on the reverse lights when you select reverse, and it gets pulse-switched when you select 5th gear, corresponding to an amount of petrol usage.
I might be totally wrong about that last bit.
But if I'm not, my guess is you now have a different box, or different ratios to suit your bigger engine, and the consumption indicator is now either absent, or is not being switched from within the box anymore.
I am now going to give an equally vague answer to your other post....

Offline 8valvesgood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2004, 19:26 »
if they have changed the gearbox for a later one the MPG was made removed. look in the engine bar for the top of your gearbox there is a green gromit on later cabs it is still there on yours there should be a plug in it.
You can't polish a turd

Offline gee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2004, 16:25 »
Now I am lost!
It is the digital readout on the MFA as the other one works when in 5th gear... not a huge problem but would love to get everything sorted.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2004, 08:34 »
The MFA works off a vacuum pipe plugged into the back of the dash clocks, if it don't work they either didn't fit it or the pipe has been damaged.  It wont be acurate anyway because its designed to run off the original engine.  It will give you a rough idea though!
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline gee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2004, 13:22 »
Means taking the dash off and checking I suppose. Will have to put it on my list of things to do and sort now!  :-\  I better be careful as I'm not technical at all.... can just imagine after putting it back and looking at my hand full of screws and bolts wondering where they go!  ;)