Author Topic: MK5 GTI - Cambelt  (Read 54359 times)

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
Re: MK5 GTI - Cambelt
« Reply #20 on: 10 March 2009, 15:55 »
^^^^
Alan - £375 is the normal VW dealer price (I'm told) and £290 the voucher price that VW dealers are able to offer.

What a muppet, he sounded like a total spanner on the phone. When I told him what I wanted doing he said (and I quote) "*sharp intake of breath* ohhhhh thats a £500 job" . . lots of tapping on something (calculator, keyboard?) "well... with a discount we can do it for £470. . . "

:rolleyes:

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #21 on: 10 March 2009, 16:00 »

I've just had mine done at 62k miles - The whole cambelt kit plus water pump plus fuel filter.

Did you manage to get any pix of the old belt and tensioners?  If you still have the old belt, if you can turn it inside out, so that the teeth are pointing outwards, and get a closeup of between the teeth - I'd be much obliged.  :smiley:

....No pix of the old belt and tensioners - I went into town for a few hours and left them to it. When I got back I was told that the cambelt kit and waterpump had to be sent back to VW or they'd have to make an extra charge. To be fair to them they did offer to show me the old one but I was keen to move on by that time. I've got the fuel pump though (and my daughter wonders what the heck it is!). I don't now remember exactly what but I had other things on my mind that day.

Sorry - I failed you on that one.
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #22 on: 10 March 2009, 16:03 »
T_T - My spare voucher (I was given the discount without the voucher) is valid "90 days from 11th Feb 09" and only at Dorchester. If you are at an appropriate mileage etc you are welcome to use it. PM/email me if so.

:afro:

Thanks for the kind offer, but I am a fair way from needing it yet.  :smiley:  :smiley:

I'm sure someone else would appreciate it though (or I hope they would - be a shame to see that offer go down the pan).  :wink:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #23 on: 10 March 2009, 16:06 »

I've just had mine done at 62k miles - The whole cambelt kit plus water pump plus fuel filter.

Did you manage to get any pix of the old belt and tensioners?  If you still have the old belt, if you can turn it inside out, so that the teeth are pointing outwards, and get a closeup of between the teeth - I'd be much obliged.  :smiley:

....No pix of the old belt and tensioners - I went into town for a few hours and left them to it. When I got back I was told that the cambelt kit and waterpump had to be sent back to VW or they'd have to make an extra charge. To be fair to them they did offer to show me the old one but I was keen to move on by that time. I've got the fuel pump though (and my daughter wonders what the heck it is!). I don't now remember exactly what but I had other things on my mind that day.

Sorry - I failed you on that one.

OK, no worries.  I'm sure Loaders would have told you of any abnormal wear, or if they were close to completely failing.

So do you notice any difference with the new fuel filter?
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #24 on: 10 March 2009, 17:54 »

OK, no worries.  I'm sure Loaders would have told you of any abnormal wear, or if they were close to completely failing.

So do you notice any difference with the new fuel filter?

....I'm seeing Dan again on Thursday so I'll double check about the cambelt wear but, as you say, they are very likely to have told me if there was something abnormal.

Difference with new fuel filter? - Very (Too) difficult for me to tell to be honest. She certainly feels free and smooth but there may be other reasons for this :wink:

I've also got new tyres and that always helps.
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline Trickyboy

• Here all the time
  • MK5 GTi 3dr Reflex Silver
« Reply #25 on: 05 April 2009, 16:09 »
So just to confirm the thread does the belt need changing after 4 years on a gti? Im on the lookout at the mo and most of the cars in my price range are around 05 or 55, should i check if the belt has been done?

Offline winrya

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 05 April 2009, 17:42 »
So just to confirm the thread does the belt need changing after 4 years on a gti? Im on the lookout at the mo and most of the cars in my price range are around 05 or 55, should i check if the belt has been done?

In theory yes although the 5 dealers i asked for my 4th year (35k) service all said no?

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #27 on: 05 April 2009, 23:35 »

In theory yes although the 5 dealers i asked for my 4th year (35k) service all said no?

Dont you just the love the level of consistency VW offer.

Offline No Golf Clubs at all

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 06 April 2009, 05:06 »
whats this fuel filter? And does anyone have a partnumber? I'm getting my cam belt, water pump etc done for circa £250 at a local Indy.

Let the fun begin........Red Gti, full colour coding, DSG, Xenons, Winter pack, Lux pack, Highline, Sat Nav, Sunroof, Leather, Milltek, ABT rear valance, Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics....pescaras :-)

Offline Caz

• GTI forum regular
  • VW Golf GT Sport TDi, Mk5, 08 plate
« Reply #29 on: 06 April 2009, 06:33 »
VW ADVISE that the cambelt is changed at 4 years OR 60k.. whichever comes first..
Its down to you as the owner to decide if you want it doing or not. If you choose not, then the dealer should make a note of it on their system, just for future ref.

also to do with that voucher.. it may only be valid at that dealer.. sometimes with mailers, dealers are able to buy into offers VW bring out.. maybe that was one, and this other dealer wasnt part of it. Also you may find a difference in labour costs. Id get you a quote, but it would be cheaper and poss down to that reason.
** it's nearly a GTi .. **