Author Topic: bonnet wont shut  (Read 982 times)

Offline VR6_ROB

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,289
  • Mk2 VR6 / Corrado G60
bonnet wont shut
« on: 23 December 2006, 14:00 »
since i had bonnet off ages ago
put it back on it wont shut noticed t was out of line
lined it up perfect and still wont shut

changed the catch on the bonnet from my other mk2
no better i think the part on the slam panel might be to tight

are they easy to remove look like rivets hold it on

Offline Gozza

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,417
Re: bonnet wont shut
« Reply #1 on: 23 December 2006, 14:07 »
I think you can adjust these by turning them iirc.

I could be wrong but I think you can on the mark 2 GTI.

Offline Uku

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 324
Re: bonnet wont shut
« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2006, 21:21 »
check to see if the lil spring is on the lower catch first off , if it isnt then ya need to replace the lower mechanism , about 12 quid from vw dealer , just drill out rivets and rerivet a new one in , if not its the spring thats too tight on the upper bit this needs a spanner and large screwdriver to adjust , soak it in wd40 overnight first as its always siezed.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: bonnet wont shut
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2006, 10:23 »
As said check the lower spring catch 1st, then make sure the rubber buffers in either corner of the bonnet.  Try screwing them in a little, if it sits too low unscrew them till the bonnet is level with the wings.

Then if it still wont shut the catch on the bonnet has a locknut and has a slit in the end for a screwdriver.  Squeeze a spanner into the spring and crack off the locknut, then lengthen the catch by unscrewing it a little with a screwdriver.  When the bonnet shuts tighten the locknut :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.