Author Topic: coilovers??  (Read 1793 times)

Offline vwgolf182

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 86
coilovers??
« on: 26 April 2012, 18:40 »

do more expensive coilovers give a better ride than budget coilovers.

i'm not overly keen on the ride my budget coilovers give, i no there cheap an you get what you pay for but what are other peoples thoughts??

also what is the best shocks/springs setup you can get for looks(obviously lower the better) and ride quality???

cheers

Offline gti gaz

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 592
Re: coilovers??
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2012, 22:27 »
you do get what you pay for with coillies depends on how hard a ride you want realy there is a thread on ere the other day about shocks and springs cant remeber what they used but seamed happy with there result.





 Any one in cornwall lets sort more meets!!!!

Offline Ess_Three

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,123
Re: coilovers??
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2012, 22:31 »

do more expensive coilovers give a better ride than budget coilovers.


Yes.
Better ride and handling...but coilovers of and sort should primarily be for handling because they are all awful next to a quality spring/damper set-up.

But the better coilovers will give a better ride, far improved handling and the ability to tune them to the car.

None of that you'll get for under £500...to be honest, nearer £1000 is the realistic figure for proper coilover suspension.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

VW BUSH

  • Guest
Re: coilovers??
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2012, 22:36 »

do more expensive coilovers give a better ride than budget coilovers.


Yes.
Better ride and handling...but coilovers of and sort should primarily be for handling because they are all awful next to a quality spring/damper set-up.

But the better coilovers will give a better ride, far improved handling and the ability to tune them to the car.

None of that you'll get for under £500...to be honest, nearer £1000 is the realistic figure for proper coilover suspension.
Plus all the new rubbers you will need, as they will shred tired bushes and mounts in no time leaving you with a crashy ride on expensive shocks :wink:

Offline Ess_Three

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,123
Re: coilovers??
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2012, 22:41 »
A Mk3 on ANY suspension, wound down 100+mm will handle crap...so I don'r suppose handling matters to those that run uber low.
I'm sure JOMs and the like will do uber low just fine.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: coilovers??
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2012, 09:24 »
I Was talking about this with the guys at our workshop last night as I'm due another set of coilies,
Turns out you can bag yourself a set KW variant 1's these days for a mark 3 for the small sum of £489..... However, I like my car silly low so won't spend more than £169, the ride is harsh an bumpy, but I have to say, I have my wishbones sitting horizontal, have replaced all roll bar bushes an droplinks, front an rear wishbone bushes, track rod ends, an bottom ball joints, and I have to say, it handles rather well now, a great improvement to what it used to be... It doesn't have much understeer now, used to get miles an miles of it but even on cheapi nangkangs up front it's rather nimble for Tug boat now