Author Topic: 16'' 9j Wheels on mk3  (Read 4139 times)

Offline smithy1

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 17
16'' 9j Wheels on mk3
« on: 11 April 2012, 21:48 »
Hi all i am currently looking for some new wheels for the mk3 i have seen the set i wont but i keep putting myself off! due to not knowing if they will fit with the archs just rolled...or do i have to do lots of cutting? the wheels are 16'' 9J et25 and was thinking fitting 195/45/16 all round.. Hope someone can help big thanks

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: 16'' 9j Wheels on mk3
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2012, 21:57 »
Going to need arches rolled.

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: 16'' 9j Wheels on mk3
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2012, 22:12 »
My Bro has this size with an et20 an it rubs slightly on mine with no rolling so rolling the arches they will definatley fit an not rub after

Offline dom

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,083
  • Back in a Mk4
Re: 16'' 9j Wheels on mk3
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2012, 22:49 »
That's a stupid amount of stretch:


Offline mark-mk3gti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,073
Re: 16'' 9j Wheels on mk3
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2012, 22:50 »
I am still so gutted I didn't buy P55 DUB makes me a bit sad, specially seeing it at Ultimate dubs!

Make em a good choice! And not too much stretch.. :)

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: 16'' 9j Wheels on mk3
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2012, 22:52 »
That's the same stretch my brother runs an I have to be honest I was surprised after 2 years he's not popped a tyre or been pulled by the law once!  He does run good quality tyres tho, although fitted outside the recommended use, surprisingly grippy...

Offline Dmonday

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,378
Re: 16'' 9j Wheels on mk3
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2012, 22:55 »
I ran 195/45 on a 9 absolutely fine, smaller and it will be too much, bigger and it will be too little.. think it's a perfect size for 9's ;) if you're running 16's might want a 40 profile if you're going silly low..

Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Re: 16'' 9j Wheels on mk3
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2012, 06:57 »
Depends how low you go. You will need more than just rolling to get them flush.
My rears are et20 and I had to roll and flare the arch and also had to get camber shims set at -2.5 camber. I run 195/45/16 tyres with no problems

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline gtiballs61

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 543
  • Wanted-nearside wing in lp3g(flash red)
Re: 16'' 9j Wheels on mk3
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2012, 07:06 »
A lot of work and ball ache,but worth it in the end :wink:
Stretch and camber will help.
Will you be keeping your kit on or off?
What wheels have you seen?

Offline smithy1

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 17
Re: 16'' 9j Wheels on mk3
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2012, 21:09 »
I am still so gutted I didn't buy P55 DUB makes me a bit sad, specially seeing it at Ultimate dubs!

Make em a good choice! And not too much stretch.. :)
Ye P55 DUB is a mint car and my first and love it so its gone to a good home and will be at moor shows give me a shout if ya see me..

A lot of work and ball ache,but worth it in the end :wink:
Stretch and camber will help.
Will you be keeping your kit on or off?
What wheels have you seen?
Well gtiballs61 the kit will be staying on as i wont it to still have that gti look...the wheels sorry if this upsets you are the ones in your sig pic, always liked them on mk3 golfs and now i have one i car well i hope i can fit a set  :smiley:

Big thanks to-gtiballs61-tweed-Dmonday-Dogbot-mark-mk3gti-dom069-Wayne