Author Topic: Mk 2 1.3 CL Thermostat Housing  (Read 5068 times)

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Mk 2 1.3 CL Thermostat Housing
« Reply #10 on: 11 October 2010, 11:33 »
you may be able to use a later mk2 housing on there, often the housings changed shape due to the sensors used but the later sensors can be used if you modify your loom to suit. got a pic of your housing?
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline EwarWooar

  • Just got here
  • *
  • Posts: 9
Re: Mk 2 1.3 CL Thermostat Housing
« Reply #11 on: 11 October 2010, 17:15 »
Hi,

It is listed on VW classic parts website:
http://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/vwcd_neu/e_content.pl?src=e_cp_sortimentneu&top=e_cp_sortiment

Managed to get on their website at work today and that is the part 100% for sure. Filled in an enquiry form and got a reply saying they will get back to me..

Frustratingly I couldn't find a "Buy Now" button :) . The blarb did kind of intimate that I could go to a VW main dealer and ask them to order it for me, through classic parts, didn't know if the dealership was obliged to do that or if it would be a favour kind of thing...

Regardless I will call Euro Canterbury again tomorrow and try and find the score, be nice to know some facts before I talk to them though :)

Cheers for all the offers of help and advice guys appreciated, not quite so despondent now, a glimmer of light on the horizon :)

Regards,

Mart

Offline EwarWooar

  • Just got here
  • *
  • Posts: 9
Re: Mk 2 1.3 CL Thermostat Housing
« Reply #12 on: 11 October 2010, 17:19 »
Hi,

you may be able to use a later mk2 housing on there, often the housings changed shape due to the sensors used but the later sensors can be used if you modify your loom to suit. got a pic of your housing?

http://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/vwcd_neu/e_content.pl?src=e_cp_sortimentneu&top=e_cp_sortiment

About a 1/3 of the way down the page "Cover for thermostat housing" thats the kiddy, looks right and the part numbers match... There are no sensors or anything on the part, just the outlet for the Rad, like I said had a go at offering up a 1.6 housing but there was no way it was going to be modded to fit...

I started modelling it up in 3D today at work so if the worse comes to the worse I may be able to manufacture one, hell of a lot of machining there though :S

Thanks for the reply mate, appreciated.

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Mk 2 1.3 CL Thermostat Housing
« Reply #13 on: 11 October 2010, 23:31 »

Managed to get on their website at work today and that is the part 100% for sure. Filled in an enquiry form and got a reply saying they will get back to me..

Frustratingly I couldn't find a "Buy Now" button :) . The blarb did kind of intimate that I could go to a VW main dealer and ask them to order it for me, through classic parts, didn't know if the dealership was obliged to do that or if it would be a favour kind of thing...



I would ask your local dealer they can order it no probs.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Mk 2 1.3 CL Thermostat Housing
« Reply #14 on: 12 October 2010, 15:30 »

http://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/vwcd_neu/e_content.pl?src=e_cp_sortimentneu&top=e_cp_sortiment

About a 1/3 of the way down the page "Cover for thermostat housing" thats the kiddy, looks right and the part numbers match... There are no sensors or anything on the part, just the outlet for the Rad, like I said had a go at offering up a 1.6 housing but there was no way it was going to be modded to fit...

I started modelling it up in 3D today at work so if the worse comes to the worse I may be able to manufacture one, hell of a lot of machining there though :S

Thanks for the reply mate, appreciated.

yeah sorry what i meant was change the entire plastic housing for the later one, i.e. the bit thats bolted to the head. this is assuming it will swap over I'm not so clued up on the small block. on the big block you can swap the earlier metal flanges for later plastic if you also change the sensors to match plus some plug splicing.  but if you can get the bit from the classic parts site then you should be good to go, providsing its noit too expensive. vw should be able to order you the part from them, assuming your parts guy isnt a muppet.  alternatively try a local TPS branch they may be more helpfull
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline EwarWooar

  • Just got here
  • *
  • Posts: 9
Re: Mk 2 1.3 CL Thermostat Housing
« Reply #15 on: 13 October 2010, 18:29 »
Hi All,

 Had confirmation from www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de that my order has been processed so should see the part soon, fingers crossed its right :)

 Will post when I've received it.

 Thanks for all the offers of help & advice guys appreciated !!!

Mart.

Offline EwarWooar

  • Just got here
  • *
  • Posts: 9
Re: Mk 2 1.3 CL Thermostat Housing
« Reply #16 on: 23 October 2010, 19:45 »
Hi,

The new housing turned up from Classic Parts DE on Tuesday (Ordered the previous Wed).

Was the right part, woop woop, and looked identical to the original in terms of quality.

Fitted within 10 mins, Boris is now back up and running :)

Thanks again guys !!!..

Mart.