Author Topic: oil seals  (Read 1176 times)

Offline oakgreengolf

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,304
  • CAR FOR SALE PM FOR FURTHER INFO
oil seals
« on: 20 October 2010, 19:25 »
Ive got an abf lump in my car and is smoking. Can the oil seals be done without removing the head?. I don't really want to be disturbing the head gasket if I can help it  :smiley:

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: oil seals
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2010, 23:33 »
Yes with an adaptor in the spark plug hole and compressed air.

Offline oakgreengolf

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,304
  • CAR FOR SALE PM FOR FURTHER INFO
Re: oil seals
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2010, 07:12 »
Ok I can get hold a compressor what sort of psi would I need, secondly how do I go about compressing the springs? Cheers

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: oil seals
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2010, 23:58 »
Ok I can get hold a compressor what sort of psi would I need, secondly how do I go about compressing the springs? Cheers

Full 120 PSI using an airline attached to a compression tester pipe or a length of rope. This is for an 8v, but the premise is the same.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=49436.msg902396#msg902396

If you go the air route, make sure the car is in gear and that the engine is in TDC - otherwise, the pressure is likely to crank the engine.
« Last Edit: 22 October 2010, 00:00 by Ben Lessani »

Offline oakgreengolf

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,304
  • CAR FOR SALE PM FOR FURTHER INFO
Re: oil seals
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2010, 06:02 »
That's super mate cheers  :smiley: