Author Topic: G60 Top mounts  (Read 2338 times)

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
G60 Top mounts
« on: 09 October 2010, 19:07 »
Silly question but I'll ask anyway.

Just put on my new shocks and G60 top mounts.  The slotted screw is tight all the way down the tread, but the mounts still have a little lateral play/wobble in them.

Is this intentional?


Offline dan_apps

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,677
  • too low for british roads!
Re: G60 Top mounts
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2010, 21:09 »
how did u tighten it is the question?

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: G60 Top mounts
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2010, 21:14 »
I put the VW tool onto the slotted nut and tightened it with a ring spanner whilst holding the shaft in place with an alan key.

It went all the way down so that the slots were flush with the top of the mount bearing plate.



Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: G60 Top mounts
« Reply #3 on: 09 October 2010, 21:48 »
i know on golfs that they are renound for the top mounts not sitting flush when the weight is on the car.

But, there shouldn't be *any* play.

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: G60 Top mounts
« Reply #4 on: 09 October 2010, 22:28 »
I had the same problem when I fitted new Shocks and springs to my Lads Driver...

It was the slotted nut that was not going all the way down the thread... We had to take all to bits again and clean the threads on the shocks and put on some copperslip.... we measured the thread showing when dry fitted and then put it back on the car and made sure the amount of thread showing was the same when refitted....

Trial and error... But should be a nice snug fit without any movement!!

HTH

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: G60 Top mounts
« Reply #5 on: 09 October 2010, 22:40 »
Bollocks.

I used spring compressors and the spring plate was well free of the spring.  Put the top mount on and screwed on the slotted nut.  All the way.  Cleaned the treads as well, but still a little bit of a wobble.

It would'nt tighten any more and the notches were flush with the mount, so I could'nt tighten it further

Took it for a spin, all is well.  Slight metalic vibration noise, but I guess thats from something in the engine bay like the heat shield.




Offline Mew

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,589
Re: G60 Top mounts
« Reply #6 on: 09 October 2010, 22:43 »
Every set of new top mounts that I have fitted have had some play in them. Not a massive amount, but enough to be able to wobble them around when the shock is off the car.

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: G60 Top mounts
« Reply #7 on: 09 October 2010, 22:57 »
Every set of new top mounts that I have fitted have had some play in them. Not a massive amount, but enough to be able to wobble them around when the shock is off the car.

Thank you.  Stroke averted.

Tidy.

Jonathan.

Offline dan_apps

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,677
  • too low for british roads!
Re: G60 Top mounts
« Reply #8 on: 09 October 2010, 23:33 »
uve done it right, and as said they do have a little play anyway. any noise when turning on lock?

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: G60 Top mounts
« Reply #9 on: 09 October 2010, 23:41 »
uve done it right, and as said they do have a little play anyway. any noise when turning on lock?

No, no noise.  Full lock to lock is OK.  Much better that the old shocks which seemed to restrict turning.

Have'nt replaced shocks and top mounts for over 10 years, so just needed some reassurance.

Just this rattle to sort out on acceleration.  Pretty sure its the heat deflector plate on the bulkhead. 

Thanks guys.

Jonathan.