Yer thats where its confusing according to my wiring diagram the hazards run the same circuit! But for the life of me I can't see this even when I trace the wire ! Sorry wasn't very clear on that one.
I've traced every single last trace wire for everything and only thing not working now is the rear fog lights. 
Seems an aweful waste to buy a new wiring loom and where on earth would I get one as every vag specialist I go to around here they always say the same thing before i've even mentioned what I want. (Sorry mk2 golf bits are all discontinued) which I do not believe concidering you can hold of plenty of bits else where just feel i may be situated around a bunch of incontinant specialists to be fair 
Back to the wiring fault though. Anyone own a 1.3 golf that is willing to have a quick look at there fuse box for me and tell me if they have a relay on the far left bottom of the stack 
No one come across thsi problem before then... 
Its more than likely the postive feed comes from the same source as fogs and indicators hence it looks like the same circuit. Don't forget the circuit does not switch on unless its completed by the switch itself or the Relay energising on and off the circuit to give flashers!
Like I said back of your fuse box there should be wires from a empty relay section chase them to the actual indicator bulbs then trace back to the switch. If you find an empty relay space BINGO thats your relay missing?
I'm guessing that all the wiring is actually there if you have bulbs and fog lights but you seem to hesitate about sticking a relay into the fuse box for testing? If your anal then trace every wire back so you know what your testing? No one can help unless you start doing it for yourself fella?
A number 12 Relay seems to be a common flasher!You need to take a picture of the fuse box and post it up so somone can confirm what you have fella?
If you have melted wires you can run standard length wire and crimp or solider them, but everything I'm suggesting you to buy you can buy from high street! When I say new loom.......make them yourself if you have come this far mate.