Author Topic: Alternator load test  (Read 1905 times)

Offline mr burns

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 63
Alternator load test
« on: 14 August 2010, 12:44 »
Hi all every time I leave my car for three or four days I,m left with a dead battery, I, ve done a load test and the alternator is only chucking out 13.2 volts is this low as I read it should be more like 13.6 to 14.6 I, ve also tried tracing the draw  by using the screwdriver lookalike with a light attached to the negative and pulling fuses no luck as yet

thanks

Offline AudiA8Quattro

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,777
Re: Alternator load test
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2010, 13:15 »
How old is the battery?
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline mr burns

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 63
Re: Alternator load test
« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2010, 13:56 »
It's about 7 months old

Offline AudiA8Quattro

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,777
Re: Alternator load test
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2010, 16:31 »
Could be a faulty battery, or check to see if any lights stay on, like the glove box or boot.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Alternator load test
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2010, 21:25 »
Go to a Kwik fit - they'll test your battery/alternator for free.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Alternator load test
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2010, 11:32 »
In the dark turn on all your lights blower everything that will load up the battery see if the dash lights dim when there is a load!
TBH You should be getting at least 13.5V-14.2V anything above 13V is ok as your battery takes 12V it needs the extra to handle loads and charge. Check if there is a spike LOAD on your battery get someone to pull individual fuses to see if the load or (amps if you like) dropp suddenly? If so that fuse will give yopu an indicator of the problem if anything i.e is a wire going to ground?