Author Topic: Overheating choke cable?????????  (Read 1414 times)

Offline dubst4r

  • Just got here
  • *
  • Posts: 8
Overheating choke cable?????????
« on: 30 July 2010, 13:35 »
Hi guy's just wondering if anyone can shed any light over my prediciment,I have just replaced my 1.8 carb engine with a 1.8 carb engine(nothing fancy Smile  )the only thing I have changed is the pierburg carb for a weber,everything is bolted down & connected up BUT as soon as I connect the battery the CHOKE cable heats up & did smoke a bit.I have brought the cable right thru the bulkhead & onto the choke lever,didnt cut it,would apprecite any enlightenment on this,does the choke cable need trimming back,just cant understand why this is the only thing heating up.

cheers
Joe

Offline richandhazel

  • Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 4,428
Re: Overheating choke cable?????????
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2010, 14:04 »
Carb isn't earthed and is using the choke cable to try and earth by the sound of it.
I assume there is a positive supply to the carb i.e heater, cut-off solenoid?
I'm also guessing it has a rubber/hard plastic connection to the manifold so isn't able to earth through that either.

Try running an earth strap from the engine to the carb.
« Last Edit: 30 July 2010, 14:08 by richandhazel »

Offline Thom89

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,092
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: Overheating choke cable?????????
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2010, 19:34 »
Carb isn't earthed and is using the choke cable to try and earth by the sound of it.
I assume there is a positive supply to the carb i.e heater, cut-off solenoid?
I'm also guessing it has a rubber/hard plastic connection to the manifold so isn't able to earth through that either.

Try running an earth strap from the engine to the carb.

As above, and also double check that your engine to body earth is also adequate, as engines are rubber mounted, take away the earth strap, and on older cars very often the only metal to metal contact is via the choke cable! ask anyone that has had an old Mini that has had the earth strap left disconnected :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Thom

Offline DarnPB

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,958
  • Formerly Darnpistonbroke
Re: Overheating choke cable?????????
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2010, 10:58 »
Yup. As above. The engine is trying to earth itself to the chassis through the best route because the earth strap is not connected. What I have done in the past is to double up on earth straps. From the -ive on the battery to chassis. From the same point on the chassis to the gearbox, then another one to the engine, even though the engine a box are directly connected.


THE FORUMS NUMBER ONE ANTI-FOOTBALL FAN!!!