Author Topic: removing front wings  (Read 3888 times)

Offline retromk2craig

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 149
  • Mk2 GTI And Mk3 GTI
Re: removing front wings
« Reply #10 on: 29 July 2010, 10:14 »
the car is getting rebuilt, i was planning on leaving arch liners out? and getting in side of arch all painted. its only being used during summer?

MK2 8V                                                                        MK4 4 MOTION

Offline twistedblack69

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,047
  • Proud mk2 user and abuser
Re: removing front wings
« Reply #11 on: 29 July 2010, 15:16 »
I think the post before yours already tells you what you need to know about sealing it if you leave the arch liner out. You put 2 question marks in your post but didn't actually ask a question

Offline jezza16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 981
Re: removing front wings
« Reply #12 on: 29 July 2010, 16:30 »
Ultimately its your choice, but you should be aware that there will be exposed box section vents and weld seams behind there and if the water gets into those it spells trouble at a later date.


Offline Mr Blue

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 6,133
Re: removing front wings
« Reply #13 on: 29 July 2010, 18:21 »
You must sort that common rust area while you can. (the picture above).

I used upol sealer to seal them back as its the strongest stuff i had lying around and can be painted over. After that i stone chipped that area (and the back of the wing).
:)

Offline jezza16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 981
Re: removing front wings
« Reply #14 on: 29 July 2010, 21:02 »
The rust in the pic was just light surface stuff, I gave it a good scrape and a wire brushing and soaked it with ku-rust. It willl be properly cleaned up & sealed before the new wing goes on. The wing had no arch liner by the way which I guess is why the water got this high up. Caught it just in time really.

This is our other gti, it had an arch liner so the same place as the red one is pretty clean, the wing was a replacement, however, it was painted but not sealed on the back or where it bolted to the car, when unbolted it just fell off!