Author Topic: Which Oil?  (Read 4650 times)

Offline AudiA8Quattro

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,777
Re: Which Oil?
« Reply #10 on: 18 August 2009, 23:09 »
Surely though once the engine has piled on a load of miles, ie. 90k +, 10w40 would be more suitable?
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline Dalo Harkin

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,070
Re: Which Oil?
« Reply #11 on: 18 August 2009, 23:59 »
Mines done just under 110K FSH
Still a bit weary about what oil - its due for a service and there are so many different opinions on plugs and oil  :undecided:

I am 99% certain my engine code has a Z in it and im bugg*red if im going looking for it now  :laugh:
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline topher

  • Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 9,557
  • fully functioning
Re: Which Oil?
« Reply #12 on: 19 August 2009, 00:11 »
on a W it would most likely be ARZ

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,562
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
Re: Which Oil?
« Reply #13 on: 19 August 2009, 13:58 »
My 1.8T is on long-life.... I've searched around and there seems so much conflicting advice regarding suitable oils at what mileage and all that :undecided:

Look here - http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=65779  :wink:

And get it OFF LongLife!  :wink:


VW gave me two choices: Their Quantum stuff for like £40 and their "special" one for like £65 for big 5L.

 :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Did you have the letters M U & G tattoed on your forehead?  Those are truely shocking and scandalous prices!!!!!  Name and shame the stealer - because that really is robbery at those prices!  What, exactly where they offering?


Garage I've got doing the work has said they use a "Carlube" product or I have the option of something pricier (might have been a Shell type), or indeed I supply something myself. 

'Garage' and 'Carlube' should NEVER be used in the same sentance - and so-called garage which uses Carlube crap should best be described as cowboys!  Carlube is rubbish, utter rubbish - and I bet Tesco Value oil would be better!  :rolleyes:  WTF any 'professional' workshop is on if they think that Carlube is acceptable is truely beyond me!  No wonder the motor trade has such a bad name!  For the record, Carlube oils do NOT have any Volkswagen approvals, dispite what they say on their website.  Do NOT use that sh!t in any Dub!


Where should I get it from and what product?

You need an oil approved to either 503.00, 503.01, or 504.00 - from a quality European oil company.

HTH
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo


Offline Teutonic_Tamer

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,562
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
Re: Which Oil?
« Reply #14 on: 19 August 2009, 14:04 »
I priced up the Castrol Edge stuff (yikes!).

But it is really good stuff!

Right decision made!  I'm going with the standard VW Quantum stuff.  I'll pick up a genuine oil filter while I'm there!   :wink:  I can then easily get the right top-up etc too.

So exactly which Quantum flavour did they give you? :huh:

Been told Yr 2000 is a cross-over year (for engine codes etc), the earlier engines want 0W30, later engines want 5W30 on long-life servicing.  Apparently.

BS - I really don't know why they keep spewing this rubbish out!  The 0w30 stuff is only really meant for three very specific Audi high performance engines.  Every Dub, from the original Beetle to the latest Toerag V10 TDI can all use the very latest LongLife 3 oil, which is 5w30.
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo


Offline Teutonic_Tamer

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,562
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
Re: Which Oil?
« Reply #15 on: 19 August 2009, 14:08 »
Surely the oil used is dependant on the mileage?

I would agree  :smiley:

Not really.  The most important factor is the correct VW approval.  OK, if you have a tired, smoky worn-out engine, then you should obviously go for thicker viscosities - but if your mota is still tight and passes all the emissions tests, then just stick with the VW specs.
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo


Offline Mr_Orange

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,220
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
Re: Which Oil?
« Reply #16 on: 19 August 2009, 17:14 »
I priced up the Castrol Edge stuff (yikes!).

But it is really good stuff!

Right decision made!  I'm going with the standard VW Quantum stuff.  I'll pick up a genuine oil filter while I'm there!   :wink:  I can then easily get the right top-up etc too.

So exactly which Quantum flavour did they give you? :huh:

Been told Yr 2000 is a cross-over year (for engine codes etc), the earlier engines want 0W30, later engines want 5W30 on long-life servicing.  Apparently.

BS - I really don't know why they keep spewing this rubbish out!  The 0w30 stuff is only really meant for three very specific Audi high performance engines.  Every Dub, from the original Beetle to the latest Toerag V10 TDI can all use the very latest LongLife 3 oil, which is 5w30.

Easy now!

The oil I picked up today was Long Life 3, VW code ZGB115QLB00501, specific to my vehicle details.

I'm going genuine VW all the way with everything service/fluid related.


Build thread clicky

Offline AudiA8Quattro

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,777
Re: Which Oil?
« Reply #17 on: 19 August 2009, 17:27 »
Surely the oil used is dependant on the mileage?

I would agree  :smiley:

Not really.  The most important factor is the correct VW approval.  OK, if you have a tired, smoky worn-out engine, then you should obviously go for thicker viscosities - but if your mota is still tight and passes all the emissions tests, then just stick with the VW specs.

Interesting you should say that.
I agree to use thin oil as long as you can, it will protect the engine better.
However as the miles pile on, inevitably clearances in the engine will increase, so thin oil will literally fall through the engine!!
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,562
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
Re: Which Oil?
« Reply #18 on: 19 August 2009, 20:01 »
I priced up the Castrol Edge stuff (yikes!).

But it is really good stuff!

Right decision made!  I'm going with the standard VW Quantum stuff.  I'll pick up a genuine oil filter while I'm there!   :wink:  I can then easily get the right top-up etc too.

So exactly which Quantum flavour did they give you? :huh:

Been told Yr 2000 is a cross-over year (for engine codes etc), the earlier engines want 0W30, later engines want 5W30 on long-life servicing.  Apparently.

BS - I really don't know why they keep spewing this rubbish out!  The 0w30 stuff is only really meant for three very specific Audi high performance engines.  Every Dub, from the original Beetle to the latest Toerag V10 TDI can all use the very latest LongLife 3 oil, which is 5w30.

Easy now!

The oil I picked up today was Long Life 3, VW code ZGB115QLB00501, specific to my vehicle details.

I'm going genuine VW all the way with everything service/fluid related.

But Quantum oils are NOT genuine VW!!!
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo


Offline AudiA8Quattro

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,777
Re: Which Oil?
« Reply #19 on: 19 August 2009, 22:30 »
Better to go to GSF and buy some Fuchs then?
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS