Author Topic: stalling when clutch goes down  (Read 1166 times)

Offline christomk3gti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,540
stalling when clutch goes down
« on: 14 May 2009, 18:40 »
hi peeps, i have a P Reg Mk3 Golf gti 8v.  the other day i was coming to a roundabout and put the clutch in to change gear and steered left, but the steering went soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo heavy as if it stalled, i had to rev the engine to get the steering to go back normal, quite scary. :-( I have since noticed that now and again when putting down the clutch and steering that the rev counter dips to nearly below 500revs... nearly stalls... whats causing this?? **note** this doesnt happen all the time tho... I wonder if maybe the throttle body may want a good clean?? I've done an oil and filter and air filter change. any help would be apprichiated..

Thanks.

Chris.... 'Mk3's 4eva'
Black 8v GTI............. Whats a Waffle Valve?

Offline shepgti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,893
Re: stalling when clutch goes down
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2009, 18:42 »
sounds like a pas pump issue... :undecided:

Offline christomk3gti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,540
Re: stalling when clutch goes down
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2009, 18:50 »
hope not :(
Black 8v GTI............. Whats a Waffle Valve?

Offline christomk3gti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,540
Re: stalling when clutch goes down
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2009, 18:53 »
ohhh, its even worse if i have the fog lights on (etc etc) dunno if this might help :)
Black 8v GTI............. Whats a Waffle Valve?

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: stalling when clutch goes down
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2009, 19:10 »
ohhh, its even worse if i have the fog lights on (etc etc) dunno if this might help :)

Thats because your loading the electrics, I would start with the basics, clean the throttle body and idle valve and go from there.

Offline christomk3gti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,540
Re: stalling when clutch goes down
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2009, 20:13 »
that sounds more of a better idea :) dont like the sound of a pas problem :(
where is the idle valve? and is it easy to get at and clean.... i'm a novice  really, but i want to do it myself, I have spent alot on cars in the past at garages, and what pisses me off the most is, they havent really got a clue what they are doing. and at least if i do the job, I will do it properly and take more time on it. :-) p.s. I've got a haynes manual aswell hahahhaha :P
Black 8v GTI............. Whats a Waffle Valve?

Offline shepgti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,893
Re: stalling when clutch goes down
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2009, 20:38 »
have a look through the fault finding in the haynes manual under REF.18 may be of some use :undecided: