Author Topic: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???  (Read 7092 times)

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2012, 16:44 »
I thought the head flange faces were different between 12v and 24v VR6/V6s?

I'd have thought one of the specialist R32 type conversion manifolds are the way to go.
Although the R32 and 24v V6 have different inlet manifolds, I believe the exhaust manifolds are the same - so a 6 branch for a R32 conversion should work.

You may even find that 24v cast manifolds mate upto 12v downpipes...I don't know.

Why don't you want to use the standard manifold/downpipes anyway?

Valid point Glen :afro: thinking about it, I am sure the head faces are different, R32 conversion would be the best bet.

Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2012, 17:46 »
You will need the 4 motion throttle pedal and fab up a bracket too  :wink:

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline dubstar9

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 392
  • Back to the Golf scene
Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2012, 18:22 »
Regarding standard manifold/downpipes, I would have thought you may get some decent horses from a flowed s/steel manifold together with a s/steel exhaust, cone filter and a chip.....

As for the throttle pedal, is that because the 4Motion is drive by wire???

Offline Ess_Three

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,123
Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2012, 19:08 »
Regarding standard manifold/downpipes, I would have thought you may get some decent horses from a flowed s/steel manifold together with a s/steel exhaust, cone filter and a chip.....

I doubt it...I built a 2.9 12v VR6 that is now in my mates Mk3, it makes 228 BHP, 208 lb-ft, and revs to 7500 all day...and uses standard cast manifolds and downpipes, match ported.
The standard VW stuff isn't restrictive...so don't assume you will get a gain...because I very much doubt you will.

Much of the aftermarket SS 6 branch stuff is crap quality and will end up cracking anyway.
If it were me, I'd see if an OEM mix and match solution can be found.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline dubstar9

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 392
  • Back to the Golf scene
Re: V6 4Motion lump in Mk3 Cabrio???
« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2012, 20:03 »
Thanks for that info, not one to save a penny or two to get the best out of an engine, but if it does then I'll source OEM :wink:

Thanks for the manifold info :cool: