Author Topic: Meh dropping oil going to France, what to do.....  (Read 1148 times)

VW BUSH

  • Guest
Meh dropping oil going to France, what to do.....
« on: 16 April 2012, 21:21 »
Did an oil change the other week, been noticing blue smoke at full chat when warm and a bit more when cold in first five minutes of driving.
Not tappety or noisy at all, and just previous to oil change it passed its MOT with very low emissions.
Head and water all good (sniff test ok) but cant check the oil ways etc without the head coming off so I am thinking ring or valve seals.....
Cant check seals without doing them, so what compression am I needing to see on a 160k AGG engine?
Obviously if I have one well out from other 3 then that's a give away, but what's a good value for each cylinder at 160k as I would not expect it to make book value after so many miles....

Mulling this all over as I am off to France in June and wondering if I should take the train instead :undecided:

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Meh dropping oil going to France, what to do.....
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2012, 21:24 »
Sounds like valve stem seals tbh.

Offline Screech16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,432
  • MK3 20vt AGU
Re: Meh dropping oil going to France, what to do.....
« Reply #2 on: 16 April 2012, 21:47 »
I will second this ^^^^

VW BUSH

  • Guest
Re: Meh dropping oil going to France, what to do.....
« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2012, 23:54 »
Either way its not good news for my golfs long term future.....

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Meh dropping oil going to France, what to do.....
« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2012, 23:57 »
Either way its not good news for my golfs long term future.....

Cheap and easy fix would be a s/h engine if your not looking to keep it long term.

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: Meh dropping oil going to France, what to do.....
« Reply #5 on: 17 April 2012, 08:49 »
Yeah deffo valve stem seals. It's an easy job once the head and valves are out. All you need is a valve spring compressor.