Author Topic: Solid works - who has used it.  (Read 2937 times)

Offline DOA

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 582
Re: Solid works - who has used it.
« Reply #10 on: 22 July 2011, 20:18 »
If used for simple things, all 3D CAD packages are largely the same. I was a big Solidworks fanboy, but for the past 2 years I've been using Inventor and I've grown like it. If anything it's edged past Solidworks in my opinion, especially with large assemblies and incorporating sub assemblies.

Interesting that, I really liked Inventor when I used to use it and didnt enjoy the transition to Solidworks at first but its nice to know its still good. Might have to get hold of a copy again (if the licensing system isnt as tight as it used to be :P). How does it compare with Solidworks in terms of features nowadays?

I moan like hell when someone inflicts AutoCAD on me.

NOOOOOOOO! Embrace the simplicity and the ridiculous ease with which you can do layouts once you have altered your right click preferences from bringing up menus. If Carlsberg made CAD packages, they would make Autocad (and make the 3d usable lol).

VeeDubGTI16v

  • Guest
Re: Solid works - who has used it.
« Reply #11 on: 23 July 2011, 10:14 »
DOA, you are doing motorsport engineering right? don't get too into solidworks as noone uses it  :grin: seems to be catia and nxt are the popular ones. 

Offline DOA

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 582
Re: Solid works - who has used it.
« Reply #12 on: 23 July 2011, 17:02 »
DOA, you are doing motorsport engineering right? don't get too into solidworks as noone uses it  :grin: seems to be catia and nxt are the popular ones. 

Just finished yeah (what a horrid final year though  :sick:). Im quite aware of the whole Catia etc thing in high end motorsport which is why I have a copy handy should I need to learn the basics  :smiley: :wink:. I used to use V4 for aerospace parts modelling though which is nice on the CV and was a LOT harder to use than modern packages, didnt stop me learning it in my spare time at work to get to do the good work though  :grin:. What I have seen of the latest versions it shouldnt be too difficult to get to grips with it in some limited fashion, if not I will just bite the bullet and pay for a training course in it assuming the job requires it. I am not really aiming at the higher echelons of the sport hough other than through graduate packages as I think most roles would be a bit limiting for me as Im an all rounder really rather than just a CAD monkey. As for no-one using it, thats not quite true as most small places dont have the cash to throw at Catia and most job descriptions I have seen for most things dont really stipulate Catia as a pre-requisite, just that you are familiar with one or more of the major players packages. I do know what your saying though and I am by no means a Solidworks fanboi  :smiley:.
« Last Edit: 23 July 2011, 17:06 by DOA »

Offline xxChrisxx

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 213
Re: Solid works - who has used it.
« Reply #13 on: 23 July 2011, 19:28 »
Parametric experience is parametric experience. If you can 3D model well, then picking up a different package is easy enough.

Where did you do motorsports engineering?

Offline DOA

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 582
Re: Solid works - who has used it.
« Reply #14 on: 24 July 2011, 01:54 »
Where did you do motorsports engineering?

I did the course at Uclan in Preston. Did you do a similar course?

Offline Adam88

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 18
Re: Solid works - who has used it.
« Reply #15 on: 24 July 2011, 02:28 »
I have used NX5 Unigraphix became a pro at it at Uni, we then changed to Solid works and I hate it. Apparently Nx was too expensive. Solid works is used mostly in industry.
I was in a photoshoot with Ms. September for Playboy South Africa

Offline sprout99

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 470
Re: Solid works - who has used it.
« Reply #16 on: 24 July 2011, 07:50 »
DOA, you are doing motorsport engineering right? don't get too into solidworks as noone uses it  :grin: seems to be catia and nxt are the popular ones. 

Just finished yeah (what a horrid final year though  :sick:). Im quite aware of the whole Catia etc thing in high end motorsport which is why I have a copy handy should I need to learn the basics  :smiley: :wink:. I used to use V4 for aerospace parts modelling though which is nice on the CV and was a LOT harder to use than modern packages, didnt stop me learning it in my spare time at work to get to do the good work though  :grin:. What I have seen of the latest versions it shouldnt be too difficult to get to grips with it in some limited fashion, if not I will just bite the bullet and pay for a training course in it assuming the job requires it. I am not really aiming at the higher echelons of the sport hough other than through graduate packages as I think most roles would be a bit limiting for me as Im an all rounder really rather than just a CAD monkey. As for no-one using it, thats not quite true as most small places dont have the cash to throw at Catia and most job descriptions I have seen for most things dont really stipulate Catia as a pre-requisite, just that you are familiar with one or more of the major players packages. I do know what your saying though and I am by no means a Solidworks fanboi  :smiley:.

i used V4 for 10 years - wierd system but very good in my eyes.
25th Anniversary TDi - PD
Oak green mk2
V50 D5 Sportwagon

Offline xxChrisxx

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 213
Re: Solid works - who has used it.
« Reply #17 on: 24 July 2011, 10:25 »
I did the course at Uclan in Preston. Did you do a similar course?

Yeah, I did motorsports engineering at Sheffield.