Author Topic: Stiff Windows  (Read 2005 times)

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Stiff Windows
« on: 01 October 2010, 15:46 »
My windows are pretty stiff to do up, always have been and more noticeable since adding electric motors, I know its no tthe window guides as the problem is still there without them even in. My drivers side one even lets out a squeak at a certain point where it must be catching, what else can provide friction enough to cause this?

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Stiff Windows
« Reply #1 on: 01 October 2010, 15:57 »
There was a thread about this problem last week or so...

Which had some tips on what to do!!

Have a search...

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Stiff Windows
« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2010, 11:55 »
I already have searched and did not find a thread that helped. That is why I'm asking the question :)

So back to the topic, anyone have any ideas? or a link to the thread mentioned above that I cannot find?

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Stiff Windows
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2010, 12:44 »
Have you checked whether the regualator slide bit is lubed up nicely?

Offline Steve_B

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
Re: Stiff Windows
« Reply #4 on: 02 October 2010, 12:56 »
Are the cables frayed at all?

Offline tony_ack

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 757
Re: Stiff Windows
« Reply #5 on: 02 October 2010, 13:01 »
I'm guessing that you replaced the whole original mech with an electric one?

You could be unlucky, and the new electric mech could be as stiff as the old manual one.

Does the window move up and down straight? If not then you need to adjust the glass to the correct angle on the mech.

Other places to check would be whether there is a problem with the window rubbers and scrapers.

1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: Stiff Windows
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2010, 13:37 »
Put French Chalk on the runner guide.

Open up the motor anh check the cable is on the spool correctly and is free from damage.

The cable tubes get filled with crap over time, lube them with some bike oil.

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Stiff Windows
« Reply #7 on: 02 October 2010, 17:16 »
well the thing is, it squeaks in exactly the same spot as it did before, I really think the window is stiff as a result of the gap its goign through rather than whats pushing/pulling thought aid gap.

Its was still stiff with no regulator in at all.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Stiff Windows
« Reply #8 on: 02 October 2010, 17:57 »
I would loosen all bolts till its free then tighten them up one by one until you find the one which causes the angle of the glass/runners to adjust too much?
Sometimes all it takes is a missing washer?