Author Topic: Mk2 big bumper conversion to mk1 chrome bumper conversion  (Read 2105 times)

Offline jimmyhodge

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 110
Ok saw a picture of a mk1 golf in a magazine with a very tasty small bumper fitted. Got an on-going mk2 project that is mid way through restoration. Never really been a fan of the mk2 bumper with the no-plate screwed to the front of the bumper. In my mind looks tacky. Personal opinion really  :laugh:

Just wondered if anyone has fitted one of these small bumpers to there mk2. If so where can you buy a kit? I've taken a picture of the page in the magazine allbeit a very poor one but it gives you an idea of what i'm trying to explain badly... :wink:

http://yfrog.com/jnpicture028kj
ohhhhh shinnnnyyyy! Story of my life...



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Mk2 big bumper conversion to mk1 chrome bumper conversion
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2010, 13:40 »
You'll have a bunch of smoothing work on the wings and I suspect you'll need a custom bumper made, as IIRC the Golf2 is wider than the G1.  The curve across the car may be different, too.

Get along to a swap meet and see if you can find and then borrow an example bumper to offer up.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: Mk2 big bumper conversion to mk1 chrome bumper conversion
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2010, 20:23 »
on another note i saw that mk1 at bristol volksfest in june and it was stunning  :cool:


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Mk2 big bumper conversion to mk1 chrome bumper conversion
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2010, 23:35 »
From memory the front subframe bolts hold the bumper on a mk2 I believe so you would need to sort that.

I might be wrong.

Offline nealey

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,062
Re: Mk2 big bumper conversion to mk1 chrome bumper conversion
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2010, 22:31 »
mk1 and mk2 bumpers mount differently on the front, not so sure on the back but i should imagine they are different as well