Author Topic: Help please....two lights on dash on even when keys in ignition????  (Read 3066 times)

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Its usually white attched to the ignition barrel and has a black four pin Jack plugged on to it (I think)

Offline walchy01

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,033
Disconected battery and then re connected lights gone off and rev counter now works....
Is this an early heads up for a new starter motor due anytime or something else????

Thanks

Offline walchy01

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,033
Having a problem with my car turning over, has new battery on, what it does is this, turn the key does not even turnover the engine no nothing, then other occasions turns really really slowly like you've got a flat battery and then starts out the blue, anyone got any ideas, could it be the starter motor on it's way out or possibly a bad connection on the starter motor??? Any ideas welcome..... Thank you


Any I

Offline Benrevs

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 790
Sounds like the starter motor to me.  To eliminate a problem with the ignition switch, touch a wire from the + of the battery to the solenoid of the starter motor (should be a single blue wire going to it)  if it still doesn't turn over then its not the switch. Ben

Offline weazgti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 955
Sounds like the same problem i had,it was the starter and when i tried to start the ignition lights would stay on,even if i got it running.

Offline walchy01

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,033
Thanks guys, think I will get the starter motor reconditioned first and take from there.
Will post update once completed....

Thank you

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Having a problem with my car turning over, has new battery on, what it does is this, turn the key does not even turnover the engine no nothing, then other occasions turns really really slowly like you've got a flat battery and then starts out the blue, anyone got any ideas, could it be the starter motor on it's way out or possibly a bad connection on the starter motor??? Any ideas welcome..... Thank you

Check the start motor brush length, starter armature condition followed by the bell housing bush. If it works periodically, it is likely to be something that can be fixed with a new bell housing bush and a cleanup of the brushes and armature.

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Is this an early heads up for a new starter motor due anytime or something else????

Yes, the ignition switch ...  :undecided: