Author Topic: Changing wing mirror glass  (Read 1374 times)

Offline delirical

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
  • Like a g60
Changing wing mirror glass
« on: 16 September 2010, 11:10 »
As per title, does it just pull off?

I have a new glass piece for the passenger wing mirror and have tried pulling the exisiting one off with some force but am concerned about breaking it, is there a technique or do i just need to yank it off??

Cheers

p.s ive tried using the search....

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Changing wing mirror glass
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2010, 11:18 »
Yes It just pulls off... Just be careful not to bust it!!

I think I have read about using string at both ends and pulling it that way..

I used a Plastic Trim puller and gently prized it off

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline delirical

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
  • Like a g60
Re: Changing wing mirror glass
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2010, 11:25 »
Thanks mate, illl give it another go.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Changing wing mirror glass
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2010, 10:03 »
what type of mirror is it? the early one half way along the door, or the later one right at the front?

early one there is a hole in the bottom, you pop a screwdriver in there and push a locking ring round to release the glass.

later one is clipped in, what you do is adjust the glass so its facing down then carefully pop off the clips you can see in the gap. point it up and repeat
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline delirical

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
  • Like a g60
Re: Changing wing mirror glass
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2010, 16:21 »
Yes its the later one nearer the a pillar.

I did try to pop the top left one off with flat head but started making a mess of the clip, will try again by spraying a bit of wd40 on the clips to ease off.

Cheers chaps.