Author Topic: super duper epically confused, I HATE wiring!  (Read 3199 times)

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: super duper epically confused, I HATE wiring!
« Reply #10 on: 15 September 2010, 20:26 »
I'm going to go and kill myself, hopefully someone else can help in my absence ...

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: super duper epically confused, I HATE wiring!
« Reply #11 on: 15 September 2010, 20:30 »
I'm going to go and kill myself, hopefully someone else can help in my absence ...

oh come on, what was bad about that question?  the answer isnt obvious

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: super duper epically confused, I HATE wiring!
« Reply #12 on: 15 September 2010, 20:31 »
I know its hard, but one day you will have to face the fact that not everyone knows this stuff  :laugh:

Offline bvr

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 13
Re: super duper epically confused, I HATE wiring!
« Reply #13 on: 15 September 2010, 22:32 »
Hi.

Imagine a relay as a double switch. A small current from a dash switch for example, will switch the relay, which will then allow a large current to pass to whatever needs switching on.

If you look in the fusebox of your car you will see a few boxes, above the fuses, about an inch square of various colours. These are relays.

You probably can get them from maplins, and any other host of sources. Best bet would be a motor factors.

Good luck with that loom tho!!
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking "did he fire six shots or only five?" Now to tell you the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow you head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: super duper epically confused, I HATE wiring!
« Reply #14 on: 15 September 2010, 22:37 »
Hi.

Imagine a relay as a double switch. A small current from a dash switch for example, will switch the relay, which will then allow a large current to pass to whatever needs switching on.

If you look in the fusebox of your car you will see a few boxes, above the fuses, about an inch square of various colours. These are relays.

You probably can get them from maplins, and any other host of sources. Best bet would be a motor factors.

Good luck with that loom tho!!




Ah cheers dude, thats makes more sense, :)

Loom is pretty much sorted, and it works, I just need to put that relay into the mix and its smooth sailin..for a while :)

Offline bvr

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 13
Re: super duper epically confused, I HATE wiring!
« Reply #15 on: 15 September 2010, 22:40 »
Ha ha, aye until motors start dying and sticking and jamming, and generally not motorin!!

I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking "did he fire six shots or only five?" Now to tell you the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow you head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

Offline danny_p

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,644
Re: super duper epically confused, I HATE wiring!
« Reply #16 on: 16 September 2010, 18:44 »
go scrap yard and pillage bosch rellays,  maplin automotive relays are sh!te, and so are those sold in most motorfactors
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: super duper epically confused, I HATE wiring!
« Reply #17 on: 20 September 2010, 10:07 »
all the current for the windows passes thru the switches either way, the relay isnt there to reduce the load thru the switches. its there to prevent a high load being drawn thru the ignition live feed on your fusebox.
believe me it is necessary. I wired up my old driver without a relay due to my brand new kit not coming with one. it was fine for a couple of weeks then one of my fuses blew when it overheated due to too much current being passed thru it. you need a 30a fuse for the windows see, the ign live feeds are generally 10 or 15a.
« Last Edit: 20 September 2010, 10:09 by rubjonny »
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: super duper epically confused, I HATE wiring!
« Reply #18 on: 20 September 2010, 14:00 »
Ah cool, I've done it now, I think I've done it right, we'll see how long it lasts :D