Author Topic: best cable change shifter for MK2 / ABF conversion  (Read 2760 times)

Offline Skid

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 102
best cable change shifter for MK2 / ABF conversion
« on: 01 September 2010, 22:03 »
As above really.
I have SEAT Cordoba ABF and gear box (basically Golf MK3 set up) going into a MK2.
I think I've read a MK4 shifter is quicker and better? Can anyone advise? Do I need everything including all the brackets and linkage on the gear box also, or just the gear stick and mounting box itself? Any other advice?
Cheers
Mark

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: best cable change shifter for MK2 / ABF conversion
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2010, 22:22 »
Golf4 or Octavia shift mech and shift control tower on your gearbox, with the control cables should deliver a nice, tight shift.

The shifter mech also looks gorgeous, naked.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Skid

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 102
Re: best cable change shifter for MK2 / ABF conversion
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2010, 08:10 »
DH as ever to the rescue  :wink:

Offline Skid

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 102
Re: best cable change shifter for MK2 / ABF conversion
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2010, 08:40 »
hmmmmm...... getting some reluctance from a  number of breakers to sell me all the linkage components on the gearbox end.

I've told the various breakers I want every part of the gear box external components that move when gears are shifted. May be I'm being too cautious but don't want to spend ££ with a breaker to find some small component missing that a dealer will then charge me ££££££ for.

So anyone got a picture or a written list of every part of the shifting mechanism (gearbox end) that I can forward to the breakers and say "I want that one!"
 :smiley:
 
can anyone enlighten me?

Offline Mew

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,589
Re: best cable change shifter for MK2 / ABF conversion
« Reply #4 on: 09 September 2010, 14:21 »
May be I'm being too cautious but don't want to spend ££ with a breaker to find some small component missing that a dealer will then charge me ££££££ for.


Probably worth checking with the dealer first. Sometimes things are surprisingly cheap, sometimes even cheaper than 2nd hand :lipsrsealed:

Offline Reasty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,070
  • Alpine white valver.
Re: best cable change shifter for MK2 / ABF conversion
« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2010, 08:50 »
May be I'm being too cautious but don't want to spend ££ with a breaker to find some small component missing that a dealer will then charge me ££££££ for.


Probably worth checking with the dealer first. Sometimes things are surprisingly cheap, sometimes even cheaper than 2nd hand :lipsrsealed:

+1 he's right ya know!  :tongue: